Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Save !
If possible. Please implement this ASAP. Especially while the Nerdseq crashes almost every time you use it. Asking us to save every single time we enter new data makes work flow very cumbersome. Also how am I supposed to send you crash data if the file wasn't saved before it crashed? 

Most of the crashes come from using/loading samples. It's crashed so many times today while performing many different tasks that I lost count and also 'recreating' the crash seems nearly improbable when all you did was load reload a sample. It seems like it's crashing because the memory is full while I am replacing samples. Who knows... I don't have a saved file for it. 

If this function isn't possible, please start to raise the cash to pay for all the hospital treatment for the incoming brain aneurysms Nerdseq is causing us all. 

Big Grin

*EDIT*

Function idea: Auto save ON/OFF in set up along with time 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes, etc. With a temporary message displayed in the bottom info bar where track names are, perhaps 5 seconds before it saves with the option to cancel the save using shift or something. Cancelling would seem backwards intuitive but of course autosave can also be annoying when you are editing.
(04-10-2019, 02:38 PM)T3t_one Wrote: If possible. Please implement this ASAP. Especially while the Nerdseq crashes almost every time you use it. Asking us to save every single time we enter new data makes work flow very cumbersome. Also how am I supposed to send you crash data if the file wasn't saved before it crashed? 

Most of the crashes come from using/loading samples. It's crashed so many times today while performing many different tasks that I lost count and also 'recreating' the crash seems nearly improbable when all you did was load reload a sample. It seems like it's crashing because the memory is full while I am replacing samples. Who knows... I don't have a saved file for it. 

If this function isn't possible, please start to raise the cash to pay for all the hospital treatment for the incoming brain aneurysms Nerdseq is causing us all. 

Big Grin

*EDIT*

Function idea: Auto save ON/OFF in set up along with time 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes, etc. With a temporary message displayed in the bottom info bar where track names are, perhaps 5 seconds before it saves with the option to cancel the save using shift or something. Cancelling would seem backwards intuitive but of course autosave can also be annoying when you are editing.

Hey, damn! I'm sorry to hear that. 

Of course autosave would be possible. But i didn't implement it yet since saving takes a bit longer than loading and it can also disturb a lot since you can't do anything else then. Also you cant save while playing, so the player would stop. A good strategy would be needed and it's not as easy as it seems (imagine it can be started from extern at all times..).

More important, what is the crash problem? I never have any crashes and i am using it daily testing stuff, trying stuff and so on.

The problem with samples is definitely an issue and as you know a problem of fragmentation. That is in the manual and discussed many times.
You got to be carefull with loading and replacing many samples, especially when the memory is full. And even if the sample seems to be smaller than the free memory it can be an issue, because the free memory can be fragmented in multiple smaller parts. Thats where problems can occour.
There is not much samplememory and it is quite a hard task to proper deal 'seemless' with loading/replacing samples.
I guess that is your problem? Or are they any other cases where it crashes?

The NerdSEQ is very stable, unless you use a antique version. And if they are any issues beside the sample fragmentation then i would be happy to fix them directly...if they are reproducable for me.

So, yes, please i need to know what you did before it crashed, how does it crash (reset ot errorcode), and can it be reproduced with a saved project file.
Rests, never an error code. It happens sometimes when the memory is nearly full after switching samples from the LOAD SAMPLE menu. Like you have mentioned even when there is enough space for the new sample.

Oh, now that I think about it, this has happened before and last time I realised that I should delete the sample before 'replacing it' and also do this while the NerdSEQ isn't playing.

This shouldn't be a problem to save manually but when I am working with 100's of samples and sampleblocks, manually saving after each time I want to load a sample can get forgetful when you are in a workflow. Allas, I will be saving every time I play with the sample menu from now on.

Also is it common for the NerdSEQ to reset after saving (save back up ON)? It's only started resetting since having backups on.

Load Sampleblock from FX seems to work just fine. apart from the clipping sound when the samples are released and loaded into the buffer but I tackle this by placing the sample block command between note off and the first beat of the new block.

Anyway to expand the ram like on an Amiga hack?

Will Nerdsynth have more memory?

Cheers.

I know... while you implement auto save. I'll set an alarm clock every 5 minutes to remind me to save.

Wink Thanks!
(04-10-2019, 04:25 PM)T3t_one Wrote: Rests, never an error code. It happens sometimes when the memory is nearly full after switching samples from the LOAD SAMPLE menu. Like you have mentioned even when there is enough space for the new sample.

Oh, now that I think about it, this has happened before and last time I realised that I should delete the sample before 'replacing it' and also do this while the NerdSEQ isn't playing.

This shouldn't be a problem to save manually but when I am working with 100's of samples and sampleblocks, manually saving after each time I want to load a sample can get forgetful when you are in a workflow. Allas, I will be saving every time I play with the sample menu from now on.

Also is it common for the NerdSEQ to reset after saving (save back up ON)? It's only started resetting since having backups on.

Load Sampleblock from FX seems to work just fine. apart from the clipping sound when the samples are released and loaded into the buffer but I tackle this by placing the sample block command between note off and the first beat of the new block.

Anyway to expand the ram like on an Amiga hack?

Will Nerdsynth have more memory?

Cheers.

Deleting a sample before loading a new one won't help. Thats actually what happens with replacing a sample. Only deleting all samples would help to clean up.

The clipping when replacing a sampleblock is of course a result of unloading samples (which are maybe playing) and loading a new one. I assumed that when replacing they are not playing. Thats why i called it 'nearly seemless'.

Can you post me the file that crashes with the save backup? The only thing i can think of is a bad SD card or a already messed up samplememory caused by the replacing (which might lead also to a corrupt projectfile). It also never happens to me that it resets after saving. Bakup is always turned on.

One thing i could do actually is using the load/save sampleblock functions when loading/replacing samples. This might fix the fragmentation issue since all is backed and cleaned up onto the sd card. But it is not seemless anymore to just replace one sample as i would have to do this everytime a sample is being loaded/replaced. And i am not 100% sure yet if that would work.

No ram expansion possible unfournately.

Just a bit of history. The samples were not planned in the first place for the NerdSEQ. Thats why it's more a side-dish compared to the CV/Gate functionality. And thats why there is only limited memory. But still i think one can be very creative with it and can get good results regardless the limitations..and i will work on it to get it better. But in the end, it stays a small embedded system.
The NerdSynth will get plenty of sample memory.
(04-10-2019, 04:49 PM)XORadmin Wrote: One thing i could do actually is using the load/save sampleblock functions when loading/replacing samples. This might fix the fragmentation issue since all is backed and cleaned up onto the sd card. But it is not seemless anymore to just replace one sample as i would have to do this everytime a sample is being loaded/replaced. And i am not 100% sure yet if that would work.

Not sure if this is possible, but maybe instead of doing it every time a new sample is loaded, it could do it when exiting the sample window to another screen. Ideally when you are finished loading everything into the kit. Would slow down the navigation a little but increase stability. Imo a fair tradeoff
(04-10-2019, 05:59 PM)skybox Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 04:49 PM)XORadmin Wrote: One thing i could do actually is using the load/save sampleblock functions when loading/replacing samples. This might fix the fragmentation issue since all is backed and cleaned up onto the sd card. But it is not seemless anymore to just replace one sample as i would have to do this everytime a sample is being loaded/replaced. And i am not 100% sure yet if that would work.

Not sure if this is possible, but maybe instead of doing it every time a new sample is loaded, it could do it when exiting the sample window to another screen. Ideally when you are finished loading everything into the kit. Would slow down the navigation a little but increase stability. Imo a fair tradeoff

This wouldn't help. The damage happens in the sample window when loading/replacing and when there is no spot big enough for the new sample.
I think the sampleblock idea would be good enough and the glitch when loading or replacing a sample is not too important as you usually use it when composing. But i got to check if it really would work well.

Usually in playback, replacing samples is only from LSMP. In fact, I only really replace samples when I am 'experimenting' with noises. I'm heavily utilising the LSMP to overcome the limitations of memory when playing back a vast array of breakbeats or glitch one shots. LSMP is not something I merely use to load a kit upon starting a new session. As stated above, the binary pop sound sound is overcome by killing the playback of the sample before loading a new kit usually with NOTE OFF. It would be neat a sample could be killed after a certain amount of ticks instead of a whole line, utilising every line without NOTE OFF. 

Never replacing samples on the fly in a live situation so autosave would only be for safety precautions in composition due to the knowledge of it being temperamental around near max memory. We would for sure turn it off in playback. 

I guess the summarise, manual saving isn't a problem if you do it every time you think to replenish the sample window, so not 'top of the list' stuff but an error message would be better than total melt down.

Regards <333
(04-10-2019, 09:12 PM)T3t_one Wrote:

Usually in playback, replacing samples is only from LSMP. In fact, I only really replace samples when I am 'experimenting' with noises. I'm heavily utilising the LSMP to overcome the limitations of memory when playing back a vast array of breakbeats or glitch one shots. LSMP is not something I merely use to load a kit upon starting a new session. As stated above, the binary pop sound sound is overcome by killing the playback of the sample before loading a new kit usually with NOTE OFF. It would be neat a sample could be killed after a certain amount of ticks instead of a whole line, utilising every line without NOTE OFF. 

Never replacing samples on the fly in a live situation so autosave would only be for safety precautions in composition due to the knowledge of it being temperamental around near max memory. We would for sure turn it off in playback. 

I guess the summarise, manual saving isn't a problem if you do it every time you think to replenish the sample window, so not 'top of the list' stuff but an error message would be better than total melt down.

Regards <333

Year, sorry, the meltdown is out of my hands. If the errorcode appears then it's a detected error and i maybe might be able to make
a crash-backup and maybe be save.
The meltdown is something else i can't trap and do something with it.

And i don't mean autosave when loading a sample. I am talking about a full cleanup everytime when loading a sample. So the memory is never fragmented, but this at costs of a glitch is replacing while playing. Doesn't have anything to do with the LSMP command, but i utilize the same functions.
And it is not possible to detect when the memory is going at max, because this can be already with one short sample and loading another big one...or not.
So it must always be used.

But lets see, maybe it's not too bad at all do do it. And maybe it doesn't work at all....
(04-10-2019, 09:24 PM)XORadmin Wrote:

Regards <333

Year, sorry, the meltdown is out of my hands. If the errorcode appears then it's a detected error and i maybe might be able to make

And i don't mean autosave when loading a sample. I am talking about a full cleanup everytime when loading a sample. So the memory is never fragmented, but this at costs of a glitch is replacing while playing. Doesn't have anything to do with the LSMP command, but i utilize the same functions.
And it is not possible to detect when the memory is going at max, because this can be already with one short sample and loading another big one...or not.

But lets see, maybe it's not too bad at all do do it. And maybe it doesn't work at all....

Okay, the way this is understood is to be cautious in the sample screen properties and respect the memory bytes available. As you said NerdSEQ is not a sampler per se and its primary intended functions thus far work functionally smooth [channel 1-6].

How will you go about working on the NerdSynth sampler section? I understand your background somewhat so I don't expect bells and whistles on the sampler field but you have already opened the floodgates for a hardware tracker/sampler so you might as well go balls deep and make the best 8bit hardware tracker/sampler ever in modular format! one for after NerdSynth in 10 years maybe?. . . NerdSAMP? Who knows...

Dank u wel, Thomas < 333
(04-10-2019, 11:59 PM)T3t_one Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 09:24 PM)XORadmin Wrote:

Regards <333

Okay, the way this is understood is to be cautious in the sample screen properties and respect the memory bytes available. As you said NerdSEQ is not a sampler per se and its primary intended functions thus far work functionally smooth [channel 1-6].

How will you go about working on the NerdSynth sampler section? I understand your background somewhat so I don't expect bells and whistles on the sampler field but you have already opened the floodgates for a hardware tracker/sampler so you might as well go balls deep and make the best 8bit hardware tracker/sampler ever in modular format! one for after NerdSynth in 10 years maybe?. . . NerdSAMP? Who knows...

Dank u wel, Thomas < 333

Haha...my background is trackers and chip...not modular actually Big Grin

Just be patient...the sampler part will get some nice cool features...and it's already the best hardware tracker out there anyway. (The only real one?)
But still much space for improvement in my opinion. Got tons of ideas...but being a one man show tells you that everything takes time.

Lets see what time brings. Currently i don't see any need for a pure sampler tracker in modular. Lots of stuff can be done already with sampler modules and the NerdSEQ helps as well. If there would be a NerdSEQ2 in modular at some point, then i would definitely put effort in pimping up the side-dishes as well and spend them much of memory and processing time and love. Though you can't say that i don't spend them enough love right now!! Heart

Graag gedaan...bitte Smile