Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ability to trigger patterns externally
Would it be possible to trigger rows of patterns and individual patterns via external midi or CV. Midi learn?

Trigger pattern 00 with C0
Trigger pattern 01 with D0
Trigger pattern 03 with E0

Trigger row 00 with C#0
Trigger row 01 with D#0

Kind of like Ableton!

Understand there may be too much Info to assign every row and pattern but would be good if could just have a few. 127?
Sure...got to think about a good solution for that. Something like one CC for the rows and another CC for the columns..or with notes....
It is already on my 2do list...also for the CV inputs.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Hi,
I am new, I just bought a nerseq which is en route. I am trying to figure out from googling and the manual and searching here, how to trigger a pattern on the fly from another device. So if I have a midi sequencer or a synth with cv/gate out, can they cause a pattern to play as part of their sequence? using either midi or CV / gate? Thanks
You can currently select, start and stop patterns from the sequencer arrangement using CV voltages where you select a row on the sequencer screen by a voltage and with other cv inputs you can start or stop that via a trigger.

You can also use the launchpad for a full 'clip launch' of the patterns.

There is currently still no midi implementation (except for the launchpad one) to select patterns to play.

Basically it will only be possible to select patterns to play from the sequencer arrangement.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
ok so just to be clear, it is not possible to sequence the nerdseq from another sequencer?
"You can currently select, start and stop patterns from the sequencer arrangement using CV voltages where you select a row on the sequencer screen by a voltage and with other cv inputs you can start or stop that via a trigger." ok I dont understand this I need to read the manual more. Thanks
Did some experimenting with this today.  With Live Input “On”...NerdSeq accepts CV on Input 1-4 and based on the setting and value of that CV, will select the appropriate column (X) or row (Y). You can test it easily with an LFO. It looks like the range is 0-10V (or -5V to 5V) over the 0-254 sequencer rows. That means just 1V (an Octave) would jump 25 rows.  Every note you play on a keyboard, results in a jump of 1-3 rows, depending on how it’s converted.

I can share below in ‘Feature Request’ - but wanted to validate my assessment above is correct first.

1. I would love to be able to tell the sequencer that 1V covers a smaller range of rows (beginning with 00, 1V = 12 rows in the seq)  OR  maybe easier, a MIDI note assigned to each row (C0 = row00, C#0 = row01, and so on). This is how a few other sequencers allow “program change” from external MIDI source.  

As a workaround, I think you could just create islands at the rows where the CV “jumps” to. However....

2. To externally start a pattern, you can use a CV gate on an Input. It will start whatever pattern the cursor is on. It would be great to have an option to Start the entire row too (like Shift + Start).
(11-26-2020, 12:23 AM)vincentsky Wrote: Did some experimenting with this today.  With Live Input “On”...NerdSeq accepts CV on Input 1-4 and based on the setting and value of that CV, will select the appropriate column (X) or row (Y). You can test it easily with an LFO. It looks like the range is 0-10V (or -5V to 5V) over the 0-254 sequencer rows. That means just 1V (an Octave) would jump 25 rows.  Every note you play on a keyboard, results in a jump of 1-3 rows, depending on how it’s converted.

I can share below in ‘Feature Request’ - but wanted to validate my assessment above is correct first.

1. I would love to be able to tell the sequencer that 1V covers a smaller range of rows (beginning with 00, 1V = 12 rows in the seq)  OR  maybe easier, a MIDI note assigned to each row (C0 = row00, C#0 = row01, and so on). This is how a few other sequencers allow “program change” from external MIDI source.  

As a workaround, I think you could just create islands at the rows where the CV “jumps” to. However....

2. To externally start a pattern, you can use a CV gate on an Input. It will start whatever pattern the cursor is on. It would be great to have an option to Start the entire row too (like Shift + Start).

1. I know that some sequencers do it like this. But these don't have dedicated patterns per track but mostly one pattern for all tracks/channels. Program change only is 1 parameter with 128 values and notes are, too. I want 255 values/rows to be able to be started.
I get the resolution thing for keyboards, but also here it would limit to like 128 rows and also more important, the info which track should be started is not there and if it would be only the full row, there would be a limitation again.

2. It can be only this option or the other but not both side by side as they are 4 CV inputs which can do that.

What i maybe would prefer is to make a set of presets which then can be connected to keyboard notes/Program Change/CC or voltage zones. 
Or else the perfect and good solution. But that must involve all possibilities without any limits and i think that is not possible.
Doesnt LSB / MSB give you 255 values? I dont understand all of this yet.
(11-26-2020, 05:26 PM)Gminorcoles Wrote: Doesnt LSB / MSB give you 255 values? I dont understand all of this yet.

It always depends on what the contoller is able to do.
Basically one CC message got 128 values. That is what all controllers are able to do.
Then CC can be combined to get a higher resolution. Many controllers can’t do this already.
NRPN messages got a high resolution. Modern controllers should be able to generate these, but how far/how deep, i guess that needs a deeper dive into the midi protocol mostly. 
Also keep in mind how nice a better resolution is, it needs a lot more data which might be in the way for stable midi sequencing.