Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ability to trigger patterns externally
XOR Admin - makes total sense.  Having 255 start points is great and makes NerdSeq super powerful/flexible. Was wondering if there could be an additional option to shorten that range for people that don't need it...that way MIDI would have enough resolution to cover the supported range.  
For example, a setting that allows me to choose: 
"POSITION X - MIDI NOTE"  OR 
"POSITION X - CV"  

Where "MIDI NOTE" supports incoming notes (e.g. C0 - B6 or whatever) and is mapped chromatically to each row.  And then "CV" option works as-is today. The "MIDI NOTE" option might be limited to half the rows... but works beautifully with almost all other controllers.

Also, not sure if possible, but would be great to have an option to choose "Position Start" OR "Row Start" for Live Input. The way I'm programming, I'm typically starting/stopping an entire row together. I know not everyone will do this, so having that either/or option would be great.

Thanks!  NerdSeq already has other seqs collecting dust!
what controller cannot to CC - lsb - msb? that is the foundation of program / bank change, correct? and with that number of permutations you can cover a rather large parametric space
(11-26-2020, 10:47 PM)Gminorcoles Wrote: what controller cannot to CC - lsb - msb? that is the foundation of program / bank change, correct? and with that number of permutations you can cover a rather large parametric space

haha, you're correct.  I was thinking more generic like "using a KeyStep on Channel 16 to play a note and start different patterns simultaneously"  type of scenario. 

Otherwise, you're right, traditional use cases would be Program Change/NRPN/CC - just need to sort through the possible 128 value/resolution challenge above. Personally, I'd be ok with that range (limit)...or just skip every other row.  Smile   But I understand Thomas may not want a half-baked solution either.
I am not an expert in this stuff, but I have a bunch of midi based synths. Program Change + MSB + LSB allows you to address a large number of rows and columns. How is it half baked? It is also a standard.

(MSB x 128) + LSB

if MSB is 0 - 127, MSB X program change can be the row, and LSB can be the column, supporting future sequencer grids of 128 tracks.

I feel like I am missing something. This standardized scheme would allow to trigger a large number of patterns directly addressable on the grid, instead of Zero. I am new to nerdseq and dont really understand what it can and cannot do, but I have a big interest in sequencing and controlling the nerdseq from external gear, and MIDI was designed for this.
(12-01-2020, 02:03 PM)Gminorcoles Wrote: I am not an expert in this stuff, but I have a bunch of midi based synths. Program Change + MSB + LSB allows you to address a large number of rows and columns. How is it half baked? It is also a standard.

(MSB x 128) + LSB

if MSB is 0 - 127, MSB X program change can be the row, and LSB can be the column, supporting future sequencer grids of 128 tracks.

I feel like I am missing something. This standardized scheme would allow to trigger a large number of patterns directly addressable on the grid, instead of Zero. I am new to nerdseq and dont really understand what it can and cannot do, but I have a big interest in sequencing and controlling the nerdseq from external gear, and MIDI was designed for this.

Sorry, MIDI isn’t half baked. You are correct, but Thomas was saying he wants to start 255 rows. MSB is still 0-127.  

Personally, I don’t think I’ll ever need all 255, so I was thinking of configurable options of maybe just starting patterns in the first half of the rows (configurable) OR maybe only being able to start every other row. But I think Thomas is trying to avoid a half-baked solution.
what about bank select here is an example of enabling 255 selections

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/index...ank_Select

here is how Kurzweil Forte deals with selecting from among a long list of presets

Values Sent To Forte Forte Multi Selected
MIDI Bank #
(cc#32) Program Change ID Range
0 0-127 1-127 Factory
1 0-127 128-255 Factory
2 0 256 Factory
8 0-127 1024-1151 User
9 0-127 1152-1279 User
10 0-127 1280-1407 User
11 0-127 1408-1535 User
12 0-127 1536-1663 User
13 0-127 1664-1791 User