Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drum Matrix with MIDI ?
(12-03-2019, 05:50 PM)skybox Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 11:42 AM)holo Wrote: its easy enough to make a single channel drum machine working with what is available now.
we'd need to address more than one channel in a nerdseq track. that would rise other questions too.. which channel to send other channel message to.

edit: needs a FX command to set the channel for the track? (do drum matrix tracks have fx commands?)

I could see FX commands being used for things like probability/ratcheting/retrigger and maybe velocity (if applicable) per voice.  Maybe if you could assign how many columns you need for the matrix (make it variable 1-whatever), you could have a second screen for the fx per step if you push to the right like the two-screen functionality of Track 7-8.

Nope, that is impossible. I thought about them being dynamic, but it would make patterns in between incompatible and so it is a no go.
Columns stay as they are.

It looks also to me that it's not the most easy thing to do since there is no standard thing for drums.

I got a little idea actually which might cover most of the ideas.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Actually really excited this is being considered. I have an RD-8 that is begging me to use NerdSEQ for more nuanced sequencing, but 4 polyphony is killing me (and I can't afford to sacrifice the other tracks) but I do have workarounds in the meantime Big Grin
One minor request: if midi drum matrix is implemented, PLEASE add the euclidean function from More Triggers. That would be phenomenal!
I also really hope this get's implemented and actually there is a standard for drums, most drum machines use the GM Drum Maps and even most DAWs use this as a basis with Kicks mostly being placed on B0 and C1 and drum machines mostly receive Drums on Midi Channel 10

It's also very easy to change the receiving midi notes for sample cells/instruments on most drum machines and software, in case it's not possible to let users configure outgoing midi notes per drumvoice in NerdSEQ (again in this case just use the GM Drum standard).

This would be so great in combination with NerdSEQ Portable Smile

[Image: 1200px-GM_Standard_Drum_Map_on_the_keyboard.svg.png]
Actually that would be too limited.
As good as the GM standard was, they are also enough cases where this is not used. And what about that other drum module on the same midi channel 10?

My plans is to make it flexible and configurable. For each drum matrix ‚column‘ you will be able to configure it’s exact midi message and channel. And of course euclidean and shifting included.
But i think the max support will be 8 columns per track because as far as i remember (i got to check that), there is only memory left for that.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
separate midi channels per column would be very welcome!
(07-25-2020, 12:24 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Actually that would be too limited.
As good as the GM standard was, they are also enough cases where this is not used. And what about that other drum module on the same midi channel 10?

My plans is to make it flexible and configurable. For each drum matrix ‚column‘ you will be able to configure it’s exact midi message and channel. And of course euclidean and shifting included.
But i think the max support will be 8 columns per track because as far as i remember (i got to check that), there is only memory left for that.

Thanks Thomas! That's very good to hear and having drum cells configurable is of course the better way to set this up Smile

8 columns is fine, but more would be great to fit some percussions/fx next to standard BD,SNR,CH,OH,TOM1,TOM2,TOM3,Ride.
I recon 12 would be ideal if the memory allows it   Cool
(08-01-2020, 02:08 PM)ftXR Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 12:24 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Actually that would be too limited.

Thanks Thomas! That's very good to hear and having drum cells configurable is of course the better way to set this up Smile

8 columns is fine, but more would be great to fit some percussions/fx next to standard BD,SNR,CH,OH,TOM1,TOM2,TOM3,Ride.
I recon 12 would be ideal if the memory allows it   Cool

I think only 8 is possible anymore per track.
well in that case, they say limitations make you creative don't they Smile