Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assign midi cc's to all the columns to enter values
I was thinking, it would be cool to be able to dial in the values of the columns with midi (modvalues, fx type, fx values, maybe tables/patches/triggers too). The cc's could be fixed (a synth also has fixed cc's for its functions), and on the step edit channel.
For instance when hooking up a digitakt or octatrack, you could use the encoders on them to dial in those values really quick.
Oh yes, nice idea. At the bare minimum, it could be even just ONE cc that can be used to adjust the value that is currently under the cursor.
I assume you didn’t see the Midi CC function in the input settings yet. They are there for exactly that purpose. It is not implemented yet as i got to release from time to time and this was not ready and completely thought of yet.
So when request features you can help me really out by thinking of how these could be integrated best and practically while keeping the workflow.
The CC one is not too easy because they are not enough CC numbers in Midi per channel to fit for all functions of all tracks. Of course Midi CC in general are easy.
So a fixed cc mapping got to be smart. And i want to have it directly all and not just one value. And it got to be future proof. So all stuff which kept me for now to implement it. It’ll be there for sure!
Btw i will start with the easy way through the automators.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
This brings me to another topic, which might help this one quite a bit (apologies if it has come up, I did try searching):

It would be very helpful to have an 'Auto channel' setting for the MIDI input options. This means that if the Auto channel is, say, channel 9, anything that gets input on that channel gets routed to the channel that is highlighted/selected currently.

This eliminates the need to be switching MIDI channels – a setting that is inexplicably often hidden away in controllers. It means that you can just reposition the cursor in the sequence view or open a pattern and you're able to play notes / record to that channel/pattern. So, by extension, you would only have to map various settings to CC's once, because choosing what track is active determines which track they affect.

The latest firmware has mention of something that could be understood as this, but at least on my RC5 firmware, there's no such setting, I believe.
(02-04-2020, 08:07 PM)josker Wrote: This brings me to another topic, which might help this one quite a bit (apologies if it has come up, I did try searching):

It would be very helpful to have an 'Auto channel' setting for the MIDI input options. This means that if the Auto channel is, say, channel 9, anything that gets input on that channel gets routed to the channel that is highlighted/selected currently.

This eliminates the need to be switching MIDI channels – a setting that is inexplicably often hidden away in controllers. It means that you can just reposition the cursor in the sequence view or open a pattern and you're able to play notes / record to that channel/pattern. So, by extension, you would only have to map various settings to CC's once, because choosing what track is active determines which track they affect.

The latest firmware has mention of something that could be understood as this, but at least on my RC5 firmware, there's no such setting, I believe.

That sounds like a good addition, but not like a replacement. It would limit input always to the screen you look at and never solves the main idea to control all you want to.
Though i think it is a good idea and i will add it to my 2do list, it will stay very low for now, as it is a function that you can archieve already through channel assignment (missing CC but they will come). I try to focus mostly on stuff that can't be archieved yet or really make a difference.

BTW: RC5 doesn't sound good at all...why do you use a non-stable marked version?
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(02-04-2020, 07:36 PM)XORadmin Wrote: I assume you didn’t see the Midi CC function in the input settings yet. They are there for exactly that purpose. It is not implemented yet as i got to release from time to time and this was not ready and completely thought of yet.
So when request features you can help me really out by thinking of how these could be integrated best and practically while keeping the workflow.
The CC one is not too easy because they are not enough CC numbers in Midi per channel to fit for all functions of all tracks. Of course Midi CC in general are easy.
So a fixed cc mapping got to be smart. And i want to have it directly all and not just one value. And it got to be future proof. So all stuff which kept me for now to implement it. It’ll be there for sure!
Btw i will start with the easy way through the automators.

I might have came across it but never knew it was for this purpouse. Good to know! The way I envisioned it is something like this: cc10 maps to patch column, cc11 to table, cc12 to trigger, cc13 to mod value, cc20 to fx1 type, cc21 to fx1 value, cc22 to fx2 type, cc23 to fx2 value etc.
You could use the step input midi channel which would input these values in the active pattern at the cursor
(02-04-2020, 09:14 PM)XORadmin Wrote: BTW: RC5 doesn't sound good at all...why do you use a non-stable marked version?

Sorry, long day – I'm on 1.2.0.
I've been reading through the forum and manual since the beginning, and I'm not sure wether this is in the right place here. I feel that with the new firmware, the possibilities are endless, and midi control in the future would be just great.
I have been thinking about it, and possibly a matrix screen (similar to the automate screen) would be perfect for this purpose. On the Y-axis you'd have midi CC's (for example 8 or 16), and on the X-axis you'd have the possibility to add one (ore multiple) control function(s) to any of the given CC's. First controls that come to mind are LFO speed, envelopes, pattern step lengths, several probabilities etc (not sure if these could be changed real time, but i guess so, considering the available functions in the automate screen), but there could be lots of other different mappings I think Smile
I currently have 2 scenarios in mind which would cover the most things i think.
1st: I make a new midi mapping screen, which allows maybe like 64 or maybe even up to 256 (i got to check what is still possible memorywise without closing doors for the future) mappig points from a midi cc (and channel) to any available function from any track and to the modulators and stuff. (like to all that make sense)
So the user can define her/his own mapping.
2nd: Add a Midi-CC Midi NRPN automator, which can be used then as a automator function and so can be used to either manipulate stuff or to modulate other automators.
Both seem fine for me to be included side by side.

At last the idea of Josker, which is maybe to define a Midi CC which can be used for live input indeed (like a modwheel or any other controller) and fills in the value then under the cursor. That would then be a simple enhancement to the current Midi -> Note cursor input.
(10-28-2020, 08:37 PM)XORadmin Wrote: I currently have 2 scenarios in mind which would cover the most things i think.
1st: I make a new midi mapping screen, which allows maybe like 64 or maybe even up to 256 (i got to check what is still possible memorywise without closing doors for the future) mappig points from a midi cc (and channel) to any available function from any track and to the modulators and stuff. (like to all that make sense)
So the user can define her/his own mapping.
2nd: Add a Midi-CC Midi NRPN automator, which can be used then as a automator function and so can be used to either manipulate stuff or to modulate other automators.
Both seem fine for me to be included side by side.

At last the idea of Josker, which is maybe to define a Midi CC which can be used for live input indeed (like a modwheel or any other controller) and fills in the value then under the cursor. That would then be a simple enhancement to the current Midi -> Note cursor input.

Yes, would love the Note cursor input enhancement – I can't believe how resourceful I've been in April Big Grin

(Also a humble bump for the Auto Channel feature request upthread – I agree that it should be an addition, not replacing features.)