Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assign midi cc's to all the columns to enter values
As this is possibly getting closer, there's one more thing I'd like to bring up: 

Relative MIDI CC's. 

Many of us have MIDI controllers with encoders. Using them with absolute MIDI CC values results in value jumps in almost every scenario. The answer is relative MIDI CC's. 

I admit I have no idea as to how difficult that is to implement, but I thought that could be an addition worth considering.
(11-26-2020, 02:17 PM)josker Wrote: As this is possibly getting closer, there's one more thing I'd like to bring up: 

Relative MIDI CC's. 

Many of us have MIDI controllers with encoders. Using them with absolute MIDI CC values results in value jumps in almost every scenario. The answer is relative MIDI CC's. 

I admit I have no idea as to how difficult that is to implement, but I thought that could be an addition worth considering.

What is the difference with encoders for Midi CC? They still send out a fixed CC value to the CC number they are mapped to. The controller is responsible for the encoder/pot position and the data it sends.
The only thing would be Increments and Decrements and then it would be only one per midi channel, so this is hardly used.

Never heared of something like 'Relative Midi CC's'. Maybe I'm too old for this Wink
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Here's what Faderfox say about the modes they have:

-control change command in relative mode 1 (values 1/127)
-control change command in relative mode 2 (values 63/65)

So, as I understand it, in mode 1, turning an encoder CCW sends CC value 1 and turning it clockwise sends value 127. The receiving device then increments the value under adjustment by one step in either direction. I might not have it down, but that's my understanding.

At least the MPC Lives offer a relative CC adjustment, and I think it's a very nifty thing for avoiding value jumps. Thought I'd mention it!
Ok i see. But that is quite a specific implementation for the faderfox (and maybe a few others?) i guess.
I think if it is common then there should be nothing in the way for this.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
I did a quick Google search, here's what I found:

Configurable to SEND relative MIDI CC:
Faderfoxes, MIDI Fighter Twister, Behringer X-touch, some iRig controllers, some M-Audio controllers, some of the Novation SL controllers, some Akai controllers

Configurable to RECEIVE relative MIDI CC:
Reaper, Teenage engineering OP-Z, Ableton Live, Renoise, Cubase

There might be more. But I recognize that this feature is still fighting for bandwidth with numerous other features – I won't push this further, maybe if some other people see this as useful they'll chime in. Smile
Doesn't sound too bad for sure. Lets check if i can get a hand on one of these controllers for cheap...
About the dial in values. I know that there is an i2c expander coming up but perhaps it would be possible to hook up some i2c input into nerdseq? To use it with some kind of module with knobs that supports i2c e.g. Txi for teletype.
I2C for output planned in the first place.