XOR Userforum

Full Version: global/track scales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies if this has been asked for already. 
I was wondering there are plans to add a global/per-track scale? Tables I think can *kinda* do this, but to doesn't actually prevent you from picking notes outside the scale. 

What I would like is to have the actual note track be limited to notes on the scale, rather than the full chromatic thats there now. My music theory is not so good, so picking a scale and being able to easily choose notes within it would be super helpful.

Thanks!
-Nick
(09-23-2021, 02:25 AM)nsolarz Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering there are plans to add a global/per-track scale? Tables I think can *kinda* do this, but to doesn't actually prevent you from picking notes outside the scale. 

What I would like is to have the actual note track be limited to notes on the scale, rather than the full chromatic thats there now. My music theory is not so good, so picking a scale and being able to easily choose notes within it would be super helpful.

What is wrong with allowing you to pick whatever note and quantize them to the chosen scale on playback? No matter what you enter the notes that are played will be part of your chosen scale.
And how do you think the NerdSEQ should handle the case when you dynamically change the scale?

FWIW I don't think the suggested "feature" would be an improvement as it actually reduces your freedom in comparison to what is there now.

My 2 cent, kind regards,
Michael
(09-23-2021, 05:45 AM)mgd Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2021, 02:25 AM)nsolarz Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering there are plans to add a global/per-track scale? Tables I think can *kinda* do this, but to doesn't actually prevent you from picking notes outside the scale. 

What is wrong with allowing you to pick whatever note and quantize them to the chosen scale on playback? No matter what you enter the notes that are played will be part of your chosen scale.
And how do you think the NerdSEQ should handle the case when you dynamically change the scale?

FWIW I don't think the suggested "feature" would be an improvement as it actually reduces your freedom in comparison to what is there now.

My 2 cent, kind regards,
Michael
Sure! the idea being the difference between 'implicit' and explicit scales.

With the table approach, its more implicit; you dont have good visibility into how the quantization is working. the notes you enter in the pattern are not clearly related to the notes output. also the Dashboard on the main page doesn't show the quantized notes either, just the unquantized note values. its up to you to remember which track has which table applied, and which table means which scale etc. for me personally, this becomes a confusing tracking problem (no pun intended)

with a more explicit approach, as seen on other sequencers, I set a global scale, and I am (by default at least), only choosing notes from that scale when i enter them into a pattern. now everything visually matches up with the pitch outputs
I have to agree. A little music theory isn’t hard to learn and so valuable. And once you have a deeper understanding, you could find scale quantization inside the Nerd to be limiting. For instance, I’m doing a d&b tune in melodic minor right now, but occasionally am throwing in some chromatic “out” notes. If it was scale quantized I’d need some sort of work around. My ulterior motive is that I wouldn’t want to give up precious sample memory for a feature I would never use.
Music theory aspects aside, I too would like to see more in terms of global scale support, optimally with FX control thereof. Reasons are manifold:
  • I don’t want to have to set, and later edit and keep in sync, quantization in all my tables.
  • I don’t even always want to have tables running.
  • I want to reuse patterns (and therefore tables) across scale quantization contexts (and their tables for other purposes.)
  • And not all track types even support tables at present. (On that note, if there were global scale support I imagine that track setup (or at least some level of expander setup) would need to be able to choose which CV 16 lanes/jacks should or not be quantized.)
Please check the many requests about scaling and especially my thread about it with deeper informations about how I plan to integrate it.