XOR Userforum

Full Version: Automator Requests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I actually haven't used the onboard envelopes and LFO's too much and was just spending some time with them. It would be really nice if
  • speed could be controlled from another slot, currently the clock and amp can be modulated from another slot but speed would allow you to get the classic bouncing ball and other cool effects
  • LFO shapes could be imported, maybe using wave files on the SD card
  • envelopes (and LFO's) had shape controls, generally being able to control the shape from log, linear, and exponential on each time stage.

I think you could get a lot out of providing some basic wave shaping functions, maybe even as FX on the CV/Mod outputs. Getting exponential-like and logarithmic-like shapes can be really inexpensive with simple "easing" functions. I like the following talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5xkf6zSzk

I built a small C++ library of those functions and I was able to create a "Just Friends"-like module in VCV Rack with minimal CPU.

https://imgur.com/a/QqPW1sf
Hey Fadedata,

thanks for the input. Let me get into some of them:
I can produce bouncing balls already using the clock being controlled form another slot. The clock from another slot is actually affecting the speed.

Quote:LFO shapes could be imported, maybe using wave files on the SD card

There is actually no memory for that left except for if I would 'steal' from the samples (which is actually already something I thought of).

Quote:envelopes (and LFO's) had shape controls, generally being able to control the shape from log, linear, and exponential on each time stage.

Yes that has been requested multiple times already. In fact, this is even with the 'easing' function something very expensive in processor time. Seeing the frequency the envelopes are running (btw, envelopes are not a automator function, they can be routed through it) that would mean multiple high level calculations for each sample times 8. And that all got to run together with all other functions. I aim to be able to have every function possible running at the same time without any performance drops. And I can't guarantee this with the more complex calculations at the moment. (also seeing the functionality I still want to add)

Quote:I built a small C++ library of those functions and I was able to create a "Just Friends"-like module in VCV Rack with minimal CPU.

I agree that these functions use minimal CPU, but you are running VCV on a gigahertz multicore PC with endless memory and I am running a small embedded microcontroller system which does already so much :-)