XOR Userforum

Full Version: MIDI capabilities: high resolution recording (off grid/non quantized/unquantized)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey!  I am seriously considering to buy a NerdSEQ.  There is just so much to love about it.

I would like to ask about the MIDI capabilities.  Especially recording.  Basically what I want, is to be able to record MIDI just like with an MPC.  I know that's not what trackers are for, but I believe it somehow could fit into a tracker based workflow.
  • Can I live record polyphonic MIDI?  If it does (which I thought it does), does it quantize to the step, or does it remember where inside the step the Note On happened and write an offset/delay/microtiming/groove on the step?  Same question about Note Off.
  • Can it record CC?  Pitch bend and modulation interest me most, but also maybe aftertouch?
  • Is it viable to have a track with a very high ppqn?  or do a track in double or quadruple speed than the other tracks to achieve a higher resolution?
This might be a lot to ask, maybe a Hermod is what I am looking for... I just love the NerdSEQ workflow from what I've seen, especially now with keyboard, launchpad, and external monitor support.  Perfect for step sequencing and general project management.  I would hate to use an additional module on top of the NerdSEQ for recording MIDI notes for a synth that are supposed to be "off grid"/"non quantized"/"unquantized".  I want that because I love having microtiming variations of the start point of each note in a chord when I play, and I'd love to record that.   I know, a tracker is not necessarily meant for that, but since I love the tracker workflow, especially the NerdSEQ... I am repeating myself hahaha.  I have an MPC1000 and want to slowly move away from it to a more Eurorack based setup.
(10-23-2021, 09:29 PM)zmberber Wrote: [ -> ]Hey!  I am seriously considering to buy a NerdSEQ.  There is just so much to love about it.

I would like to ask about the MIDI capabilities.  Especially recording.  Basically what I want, is to be able to record MIDI just like with an MPC.  I know that's not what trackers are for, but I believe it somehow could fit into a tracker based workflow.
  • Can I live record polyphonic MIDI?  If it does (which I thought it does), does it quantize to the step, or does it remember where inside the step the Note On happened and write an offset/delay/microtiming/groove on the step?  Same question about Note Off.
  • Can it record CC?  Pitch bend and modulation interest me most, but also maybe aftertouch?
  • Is it viable to have a track with a very high ppqn?  or do a track in double or quadruple speed than the other tracks to achieve a higher resolution?
This might be a lot to ask, maybe a Hermod is what I am looking for... I just love the NerdSEQ workflow from what I've seen, especially now with keyboard, launchpad, and external monitor support.  Perfect for step sequencing and general project management.  I would hate to use an additional module on top of the NerdSEQ for recording MIDI notes for a synth that are supposed to be "off grid"/"non quantized"/"unquantized".  I want that because I love having microtiming variations of the start point of each note in a chord when I play, and I'd love to record that.   I know, a tracker is not necessarily meant for that, but since I love the tracker workflow, especially the NerdSEQ... I am repeating myself hahaha.  I have an MPC1000 and want to slowly move away from it to a more Eurorack based setup.

Hi there,

lets get into your questions.

Quote:Can I live record polyphonic MIDI?  If it does (which I thought it does), does it quantize to the step, or does it remember where inside the step the Note On happened and write an offset/delay/microtiming/groove on the step?  Same question about Note Off.

It can record polyphonic Midi. However it will record only into the steps and there is no deeper or multiple timing information stored with that.

Quote:Can it record CC?  Pitch bend and modulation interest me most, but also maybe aftertouch?

Yes it can, but you got to take care how much information you record as there is limited space within the FX columns (where it records this data into).

Quote:Is it viable to have a track with a very high ppqn?  or do a track in double or quadruple speed than the other tracks to achieve a higher resolution?
There is a main resolution which is used when recording. So even setting a track to double speed would not increase the step record resolution. You could double speed the global BPM which indeed would give you a double resolution.

I am not sure if the Hermod does this stuff. But as far as I know the Hermod is derived from the Pyramid which is a Midi powerhouse. So I can imagine that the Midi implementation is deeper there. But so also other Midi sequencers would be more dedicated to do midi stuff. But then these are Midi things and not especially for the rack.

It is also not a 'per definition' tracker thing to do stuff out of the grid. It always depends on the main implementation and available ressources / memory.

I hope I could help a bit here.
Thank you for the reply!
Quote:it will record only into the steps and there is no deeper or multiple timing information stored with that.
[...]
There is a main resolution which is used when recording
I might still be a bit confused.  Is it the case that when I record midi, it always will quantize to the beginning of the previous or next step?  (i.e. fill out the step with no "note on" delay, or off set, or whatever it's called.)  or maybe i am confused what the "resolution when recording" means...
Yep, exactly what you say. It records into the grid/steps. That means it will record into the step you are right now with the sequence. (with some pre-post quantization) But there is no extra timing data included which could lead to microtiming of that note data.
Thank you very much for your help! I guess I will stick to my MPC for recording off grid stuff, especially synth midi playing. Maybe some day I will get a Hermod but ugh, I don't particularly like it from what I have seen to be honest.

But now I must still think about getting a nerdSEQ to replace my step sequencer hahaha. I really really love the workflow.