XOR Userforum
Pattern plays twice on starting a row - Printable Version

+- XOR Userforum (https://xor-electronics.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Products (https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Nerdseq (https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: General Questions (https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Pattern plays twice on starting a row (/showthread.php?tid=426)

Pattern plays twice on starting a row - Barney Rubble - 06-12-2019

Hey Thomas,

I have midi setup on TRK 6  and when I use my "invented" row start command (Shift + 2 x Start) first pattern plays 2 times before starting next pattern.

If I start the TRK with "Start" or "Shift & Start" it plays 1 time and starts next pattern as expected.

I'm thinking.......this is not documented so is something I should probably avoid If I want to keep patterns in sync.

Anyways  thought this might be useful information.

cheers
b

RE: Pattern plays twice on starting a row - skybox - 06-12-2019

This is expected. Startx2 queues a pattern to launch on the next checkpoint, so when you press start for the second time, you're queuing up the pattern to play again before it moves on to the next.

Quote:While playing, pressing start on another selected pattern will trigger the pattern to play after the last pattern of the same column finished it’s sequence. Pressing START 2 times, will trigger the next pattern faster, after an amount of steps, set up by the Project setting ‘Live Quantize’, derived from the main 64 step clock. You can see the next point of the starting point on the top and bottom Base Clock Indicator. 

RE: Pattern plays twice on starting a row - Barney Rubble - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 06:41 PM)skybox Wrote: This is expected. Startx2 queues a pattern to launch on the next checkpoint, so when you press start for the second time, you're queuing up the pattern to play again before it moves on to the next.

Quote:While playing, pressing start on another selected pattern will trigger the pattern to play after the last pattern of the same column finished it’s sequence. Pressing START 2 times, will trigger the next pattern faster, after an amount of steps, set up by the Project setting ‘Live Quantize’, derived from the main 64 step clock. You can see the next point of the starting point on the top and bottom Base Clock Indicator. 

Yep I'm talking about starting from the stop position and not expecting all the tracks playing the first pattern twice regardless of how many steps in each pattern and quantised steps.

At least I know must stop the nervous stabbing at the Start button when starting a project.

all good
b

RE: Pattern plays twice on starting a row - XORadmin - 06-18-2019

(06-12-2019, 07:26 PM)Barney Rubble Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 06:41 PM)skybox Wrote: This is expected. Startx2 queues a pattern to launch on the next checkpoint, so when you press start for the second time, you're queuing up the pattern to play again before it moves on to the next.

Yep I'm talking about starting from the stop position and not expecting all the tracks playing the first pattern twice regardless of how many steps in each pattern and quantised steps.

At least I know must stop the nervous stabbing at the Start button when starting a project.

all good
b

Still also from stop it is exactly the expected result. On the first press of start you start the patterns and the sequencer. And with the next pressing of start you tell the playing sequencer that it should play the selected (in your case the patterns where you are right now) next. Which is then the same pattern again as you selected it to play next with the 2nd start.

RE: Pattern plays twice on starting a row - Barney Rubble - 06-18-2019

Thanks Thomas - that makes sense - I was confused and could not work out the logic.

On a similar subject would it be possible in a future firmware to use Mark then Shift + Start" combo - to select part of a row of patterns in the sequencer to play?

Wish me luck I have my first gig on Friday since 1977!

cheers
b