XOR Userforum
Timing of trigger outputs - Printable Version

+- XOR Userforum (https://xor-electronics.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Products (https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Nerdseq (https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: General Questions (https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Timing of trigger outputs (/showthread.php?tid=518)

Timing of trigger outputs - theotteryears - 11-03-2019

this might be a slight issue I've discovered...

Clocking MI Grids from a trigger output, and sending a reset from another trigger output to Grids at specific times results in grids getting slightly out of time or double triggering.

Grids needs 24ppqn so I write a pattern with triggers filled in on every step and the groove set to 1.

I've tested this sending triggers from my computer (Renoise/logic/ableton) and the problem is not there.

Is there a chance the triggers are sent out at very slightly different times?

RE: Timing of trigger outputs - depaffect - 11-04-2019

wouldn't you be better off clocking grids from the clock out set to DIN SYNC (which is 24ppqn) + reset?

RE: Timing of trigger outputs - theotteryears - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 05:38 AM)depaffect Wrote: wouldn't you be better off clocking grids from the clock out set to DIN SYNC (which is 24ppqn) + reset?

it's not a reset though, its a run output when set to DIN SYNC.

also i want to be able to start and stop Grids' clock without stopping Nerdseq, so i need it to be clocked from a pattern.

RE: Timing of trigger outputs - XORadmin - 11-04-2019

Be aware that the sequencer always work from left to right, up/down.
So if you insert the reset on track 1 and the 'clock' on track 2, then you are sure that the clock starts after the trigger.
Same for FX columns, FX1 -> FX2 -> FX3 -> FX4.
So with this in mind the issue could be solved already. The grids should only react on raising edge of the reset.

If not, the latest firmware which will be hopefully released this week (manual writing currently) and the latest RC have a function to delay triggers from the trigger column. You might need to delay the clock slightly there in the track settings and might get the results you need. But that would also mean that the grids is always slightly delayed. You might realise it, maybe not. It worth a try.

RE: Timing of trigger outputs - theotteryears - 11-06-2019

(11-04-2019, 02:26 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Be aware that the sequencer always work from left to right, up/down.
So if you insert the reset on track 1 and the 'clock' on track 2, then you are sure that the clock starts after the trigger.
So with this in mind the issue could be solved already. The grids should only react on raising edge of the reset.

If not, the latest firmware which will be hopefully released this week (manual writing currently) and the latest RC have a function to delay triggers from the trigger column. You might need to delay the clock slightly there in the track settings and might get the results you need. But that would also mean that the grids is always slightly delayed. You might realise it, maybe not. It worth a try.

Ah ok! Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know that about the order of the tracks. I assumed all would be output exactly the same time. I will try it with the reset on the first track.

RE: Timing of trigger outputs - XORadmin - 11-06-2019

(11-06-2019, 12:16 AM)theotteryears Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 02:26 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Be aware that the sequencer always work from left to right, up/down.

Ah ok! Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know that about the order of the tracks. I assumed all would be output exactly the same time. I will try it with the reset on the first track.

There is no 'at the same time' in computer world. Though, for your feelings it is at the same time, but in reality everything is sequential and will play micro or nanoseconds behind each other.