Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to know what is active
Hello all,

My understanding is that an FX will still be active on a track, within a sequence even if it has been deleted?

Im pretty sure I have activated some FX within a recent project but I am not sure which.... this is likely to be due to working too quickly and accidentally turning something on briefly as I skip through the various parameters (note to self to slow down). The project is large, many tracks, many sequences and it is likely I have deleted an FX parameter without setting it to zero before doing so. 

My question is, is there an easy way to see what FX may be active on a specific track so I am able to then recall an fx parameter and set it to zero?

I could go through every single FX parameter, enter a value of zero (or the equivalent) but this would take a looooong time.

Any advice welcome, thanks!
(09-29-2021, 10:30 AM)MATTHS Wrote: Hello all,

My understanding is that an FX will still be active on a track, within a sequence even if it has been deleted?

Im pretty sure I have activated some FX within a recent project but I am not sure which.... this is likely to be due to working too quickly and accidentally turning something on briefly as I skip through the various parameters (note to self to slow down). The project is large, many tracks, many sequences and it is likely I have deleted an FX parameter without setting it to zero before doing so. 

My question is, is there an easy way to see what FX may be active on a specific track so I am able to then recall an fx parameter and set it to zero?

I could go through every single FX parameter, enter a value of zero (or the equivalent) but this would take a looooong time.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

You can check and reset them in the current values screen.
Also just fyi, the fact that FX are not resetting when you delete them is totally fine. You don‘t want to be any FX / setting influenced while editing any random pattern.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Hello Current Value Screen!! This is exactly what I needed. Seemed I have inserted and deleted a CV Prob causing some weirdness.

I wonder if some of us would prefer to have an option to reset and FX when deleting? Could be useful and perhaps a global option per song?
It is not an option for me to integrate that because they are many possibilities to use the FX stuff and to reset it on delete from anywhere (because it could be manipulated from anywhere) would create even more confusion. (Would going through the different FX would also mean deletion? What if a value has been changed from sources different from the FX column…

So no chance for this. But there is a setting to reset the basic FX parts on sequencer stop in the setup screen. The caveat here is that you would need to set your needed FX always in the patterns you start.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(09-29-2021, 01:32 PM)XORadmin Wrote: The caveat here is that you would need to set your needed FX always in the patterns you start.

Not sure I get this part. Aren't you setting the FX at some point in the pattern anyway? Or how do you mean?
(09-30-2021, 08:06 AM)Paranormal Patroler Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 01:32 PM)XORadmin Wrote: The caveat here is that you would need to set your needed FX always in the patterns you start.

Not sure I get this part. Aren't you setting the FX at some point in the pattern anyway? Or how do you mean?

Lets assume you set a probability on the first playing pattern and stop the sequencer which resets the probability settings again (with the setup setting enabled). 
If you start another pattern then the probability won’t be set if it is not in there as well.
Yeah, ok, I presumed that's what you meant, but in my opinion that is bad practice on the side of the user. If you're controlling a parameter, I think it would be best practice to make sure the parameter is not taking its attributes from a different pattern than the one you're currently on.
That is only feasible for isolated/short pattern. When you have longer patterns with different stuff going on it may simply not be possible to have isolated and independent patterns. That's exactly why some of us have a set of "startup/setup" patterns (e.g. at the very top or wherever it suits you) and some "stop/cleanup" pattern (e.g. at the end or at the top close to the startup patterns or wherever suits you).

In the end there probably is no "one size fits all" type of workflow. I consider it among the NerdSEQ's strengths, that you can adopt the workflow that suits you best and that may or may not be different from what others do.
(09-30-2021, 11:48 AM)mgd Wrote: That is only feasible for isolated/short pattern. When you have longer patterns with different stuff going on it may simply not be possible to have isolated and independent patterns. That's exactly why some of us have a set of "startup/setup" patterns (e.g. at the very top or wherever it suits you) and some "stop/cleanup" pattern (e.g. at the end or at the top close to the startup patterns or wherever suits you).

In the end there probably is no "one size fits all" type of workflow. I consider it among the NerdSEQ's strengths, that you can adopt the workflow that suits you best and that may or may not be different from what others do.

How do you set up these startup/cleanup patterns ? Is it just single step, no note patterns with just FX cleanups?
Mostly no note patterns with initialization/setup stuff. However I kind of always also have notes to tune my VCOs somewhere as well.

The length depends on several things:
- how many/much FX I wish to set and the type of track. E.g. a CV16 track has 3 FX per row. To set up 10 FX I need at least 4 rows.
- some FX depend on other and it may be easier to to put stuff on several rows.
- there are probably more things that I don't recall right now Smile

Most of the time I don't care about the length (using the default 64 steps or whatever is the default in the project). The initialization is not part of the "song" as such, just like tuning of VCOs, patching cables, adjusting ADSRs pods etc. When they contain notes for tuning I can just play that row/island and have my output turned down and fine. If I had a fully automated mixer I could even control that from the setup patterns Smile