Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV info to MOD out
I wanted to use the MOD out to send pitch information to a filter. Now, I'm sure I've read somewhere in the manual that there's a simple way (FX or command) you can use to send the Note/Pitch/CV info to the MOD output. 

Maybe someone can help with this please, or tell me where I need to look in the manual?

Thanks in advance.
Selecte Mod cell press Shift + OK a few times gets you to C0 - there after press shift + left/right arrow for semi-tones or shift + cursor up/down for octaves.

:-)
Thanks Barney, that bit I already knew, and I guess one solution using that system would be to cut and paste all the CV/note values using Mark+Shift (etc), and paste them in the MOD column.

However, I had an idea that there was another simpler way which somehow directly sent that information from the note column to the MOD output, but maybe I was dreaming? 

Thanks for the info.
The trivial way to do it would be mult the note CV into the filter. That would also free up MOD for other modulation.

I'm not aware of an FX that does what I have understood is what you want.
FWIW I don't understand the rationale. Maybe you could try to explain a bit more what you'd like to achieve.
Hi, my idea is to be able to send the CV data to (example) a filter. Now, it could be easy just to use a mult and do it that way. However, I thought that it could save multing something by sending that information out of the MOD output - hence the question.

To a certain extent, I'm really talking about the possibility to route stuff via MOD outputs, which if you think about it makes logical sense.
(06-30-2022, 08:31 PM)joesh Wrote: To a certain extent, I'm really talking about the possibility to route stuff via MOD outputs, which if you think about it makes logical sense.

I honestly don't understand the use case. What would you gain that is not already there?

Here's what I think is there:
1. You can send whatever you want out of the MOD output (by putting the wanted values into the column).
2. Multing the note CV to the filter does the job unless you want to switch it on/off conditionally. However in that case you could use the MOD output as an additional modifier. You could also use the FX to modify the MOD column.
3. There are quite a few FX dealing with probabilistic changes of values

What use case is missing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to talk away your requirements. I simply would like to understand them Smile

Kind regards,
Michael
Hi Michael, you actually do understand my requirements, it's simply the implementation method that I was wondering about. 

I understand that 'if' you wish that C-4 is also sent out of the MOD output, you'd put C-4 in the MOD column too. However, if you have a long melody (whatever) in your NOTE column you have (at present) 2 choices:

a) Write all the relevant notes into the MOD column as above
b) Copy and paste all the notes from the NOTE column into the MOD column

Both those are perfectly fine and work just as needed. 

However, my original question was asking if there was a SPFX command to make all the values in NOTE column apply to the MOD column (without copy/pasting), that was all. But, now I (start to) understand how all this works I'm just going to cut/paste into the MOD row, it will work perfectly. 

Sorry if it wasn't clear in the first place, and thanks again for taking the time to take a look at the question/post. As you know, the NerdSeq is so 'deep' that just when you wonder why it doesn't do something .... you discover it does, you just have to look in the right place, or re-read the manual a second time (or third) time Wink .
(07-01-2022, 10:44 AM)joesh Wrote: Hi Michael, you actually do understand my requirements, it's simply the implementation method that I was wondering about. 

I understand that 'if' you wish that C-4 is also sent out of the MOD output, you'd put C-4 in the MOD column too. However, if you have a long melody (whatever) in your NOTE column you have (at present) 2 choices:

a) Write all the relevant notes into the MOD column as above
b) Copy and paste all the notes from the NOTE column into the MOD column

Both those are perfectly fine and work just as needed. 

However, my original question was asking if there was a SPFX command to make all the values in NOTE column apply to the MOD column (without copy/pasting), that was all. But, now I (start to) understand how all this works I'm just going to cut/paste into the MOD row, it will work perfectly. 

Sorry if it wasn't clear in the first place, and thanks again for taking the time to take a look at the question/post. As you know, the NerdSeq is so 'deep' that just when you wonder why it doesn't do something .... you discover it does, you just have to look in the right place, or re-read the manual a second time (or third) time Wink .

Thanks for explaining and there is no need to apologize. I have learned more often than not it is such that someone asks for a feature to solve a problem and the NerdSEQ already offers another (often equally simple) solution to the problem.

I very much sympathize with you reading the manual over and over again...I'm in the same boat Smile
What if you would use an automator and one CV as source and a MOD as destination. I think that would do the thing without the notes in 2 columns (which I understand is not the most elegant thing, but on the other hand it is also a very exotic thing to do. Using a multiple externally is the modular way and you can still use the MOD output for something else)
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(07-02-2022, 10:38 AM)XORadmin Wrote: What if you would use an automator and one CV as source and a MOD as destination. I think that would do the thing without the notes in 2 columns (which I understand is not the most elegant thing, but on the other hand it is also a very exotic thing to do. Using a multiple externally is the modular way and you can still use the MOD output for something else)

Brilliant, I was just about to come back here to ask that very question (and a solution). Indeed, using a multiple is another possibility, however, if you want to tweak a few of the values it's nice to be able to have independent control, which by using the notes in the MOD column works nicely. 

However, one thing that seems not possible (I'll reread the manual later) is copy paste from the note column to the mod column? I tried it and it didn't seem to work, did I miss something - in the manual? 

BTW, the multiple is really, as you say, the simplest solution, which leaves the MOD for other things. Actually there's an expression we have in English which says, "Why keep a dog and bark"? Which put more simply means you don't need to do something that can be done better by something else that's made for that.

In the meanwhile, the NerdSeq does so much, it's amazing, although I can't seem to find the espresso coffee function ... (yet) .... Wink .