Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV in -> Audio Out
Hello,

I wanted to try if it was possible to use one of the CV inputs as a lofi Analog to digital converter and send back the sampled signal to one of the audio/mod outputs using the mapping matrix.

The idea behind that would be for example to be able to intentionaly send frequencies higher than what is the ADC capable of sampling to create aliasing effect and layer it with the original sound. The dual conversion process would also introduce some delay on the sampled signal so even if the sampling theorem is respected, the time difference between the two signals would give some coloring to the sound by constructive/destructive interference.

Unfortunately I saw that this was not possible so I tried sending the sending to the one of the mod outputs but although I could definitely get some signal, even ensuring that my input signal (a sine wave from my HertzDonut mkII) is in a 0-10V range and has a frequency lower than the Fs/2 of the ADC (1000Hz if I understood correctly), the results is really noisy and glitchy (which is kind of cool but not what I was expecting).

The questions are therefore related :
- did I get something wrong concerning the CV ins or mod out regarding their capabilities in this context? 
- am I doing something wrong ?
- Is sending something to the audio outs really impossible from the CV ins ?
- Is there a workaround to this ?

I'd be glad to have your inputs Smile
Cheers !
As far as I remember (and I got to look that up) the CV Inputs are sampled also at 1khz. On that some digital filtering is applied which would surely get your rate down to 250hz or so. The mapping runs also asynchronous to that. Any signal coming in need to me much lower than that (fs/2 is for each sample and not for the whole sine…fs/2 on your sine and let the sine be then 500hz in the best case would mean 2 samplepoints for the whole sinewave which will result most probably in some random signal. You would need to go very low in the input frequency for a continuous signal like a sine to replicate it properly. I am sure it will not really be in audio rate…never intended for this either.
But I love your experiments and maybe you can get some lucky accidental results with it.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile