Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi Tuning Standard (MTS) Support
Would really like to see the ability to apply a MTS tuning scale to a track output, for microtonal scales. (CV only - midi would be a lot more work).

This would just mean altering the Midi Note -> Pitch Voltage lookup. The MTS file is part of the 1.0 midi spec and well documented. 

The files are not large and could easily be stored on the SD card.    

A separate tuning for each track would be optimum, but that would mean a lookup table for each note track. If that's too much, one tuning for all tracks would still be very useful. Just use the MTS file to re-write the Midi Note -> Voltage table and it's done. (Assuming there's a table and you're not doing voltage calculations for each note, that is). 

Anyway I've been working in Alternate tunings for a bit now and the Nerdseq has been neglected because of the lack of this feature. Which makes me sad. I know you mentioned a while back on the muff's thread that you'd look at this but it would not be a high priority. But it is important, to me at least (and others - microtonality is growing in popularity and new hardware from Novation, Korg and DSI all have it), and AFAICT it's not technically hard to do - the MTS file parsing is probably the most time consuming part of the whole business to write. So I think it's worth a thread on here.
(05-26-2019, 07:53 PM)knights who say neve Wrote: I think it's worth a thread on here.

Agreed.

It'd be cool if Nerdseq could read Slendro and Pelog, from say, a Sub 37, Etc.
Exactly...with MTS support scales could be dumped to / from other instruments that support the MTS spec...and then the scales could be used with the Eurorack instruments!
This would be incredible! Maybe even a vco auto tune feature like tubbutec has been teasing with their utune module but hasn’t gotten right
(05-26-2019, 07:53 PM)knights who say neve Wrote: Anyway I've been working in Alternate tunings for a bit now and the Nerdseq has been neglected because of the lack of this feature. Which makes me sad.

If you are sad, but also patient, you could use PTCH function from FX and actually do micro tunings step-by-step. Also you can apply strange settings to GL C and GLCS functions.
I’ve thought about that. I really like that the mod output has both hex and notes. Wish the cv output did the same. Maybe opposite from mod where you deal with notes first and paging up will get you into the fine adjustments
(11-27-2019, 06:41 PM)garbageburner Wrote: I’ve thought about that. I really like that the mod output has both hex and notes. Wish the cv output did the same. Maybe opposite from mod where you deal with notes first and paging up will get you into the fine adjustments

That is not possible with the Note Column. But why don't you use the pitch FX to get microtonal stuff? And you can use also HEX values for the CV outputs using the FX command.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(11-27-2019, 11:23 PM)XORadmin Wrote:  But why don't you use the pitch FX to get microtonal stuff?

I think what he is talking about - if we could save microtonal changes of pitchFX as "user scale tunings" (f.e. I'd like every C to be tuned 15 cents down and every F - 28 cents up) then it could be possible to apply this "user scale" to all necessary notes at once. Otherwise you should edit all patterns on different tracks by hand. That is time consuming, takes away creative impulse etc. (Take look, for example, in Logic Pro DAW. It has plenty of strange scales to choose - La Monte Young well tuned piano scale and others. And If we have an option to edit, save and use our own unique tunings/scales - that could be very nice.)
The scales, discussed in another thread will solve this i think.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile