Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to silence a step using probability
Here's another NOOB question...One of the most common things I do with sequencers is to control the probability of steps playing or not. Not skipping steps but making them silent, no note & no trigger/gate. I thought this would be simple with the Nerdseq using FX PRCV and/or PRTR, but I can’t make it happen, nor can I see another method of accomplishing this.

Here’s a simple hypothetical: a scale pattern C D E F G repeating; I want to set a probability that the E row will be silent sometimes. (I use Autofill triggers, so they’re all set at 40).

PRCV will not do this; it only affects the Note column and will simply affect the probability of the previous rows note to repeat. PRTR also will not do this; it only affects the Trigger column, and even when there is no Trigger, the Note is still present. Using PRCV & PRTR together, set at the same probability, will occasionally give the desired result, but not very practical because their probabilities don’t often align, of course.

The result I’m looking for is equivalent to hand editing the row with the E, replacing the Note with a [  ], and deleting its Trigger.

So can anyone tell me a simple way to do this with the Nerdseq? If not, maybe Thomas could include another FX that does both together with the same probability?
OK, after fiddling around, I think I got it. For each note you want to skip with a probability, put a KILL 000 in FX1, and a PRTR XXX in FX2 (probability of skip, 001 - 064, 100% to 0%). Then you’ve got to put a PRTR 064 in the next row to cancel out that FX for subsequent rows.

Does this sound right? It seems to work for me. Please chime in if anybody has any insights or other ways of doing this.

(08-02-2019, 06:08 AM)atimbral Wrote: OK, after fiddling around, I think I got it. For each note you want to skip with a probability, put a KILL 000 in FX1, and a PRTR XXX in FX2 (probability of skip, 001 - 064, 100% to 0%). Then you’ve got to put a PRTR 064 in the next row to cancel out that FX for subsequent rows.

Does this sound right? It seems to work for me. Please chime in if anybody has any insights or other ways of doing this.

BTW, does anyone know if there are values other than 000 for the KILL FX in CV/Gate Tracks? I looked in the manual, but didn't see any.
That is one possibility to do it. Another one would be using the probability on the trigger column together with the kill 000.
If a trigger is filled in then it overrules the auto-gate function of the Note columns, however it doesn‘t work right now together with probability, if the trigger doesn‘t come it still sets the auto-gate.
That is one thing that will be fixed in the coming release.
Still you can get the job done well with your way.

Kill has 2 functions. One is with value 000 which affects the note column and takes care that the gate doesn‘t change if a note is filled in. If it was high it stays high and if it was low it stays low.
And if a value is filled in the it means that the gate should be reset after a x amount of time, depending of the numbers chosen. With this gates shorter than a step length can be archieved.