Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gate/triggers not triggering some modules
I noticed that my Nerdseq doesn't trigger my doepfer A-140-2 dual ADSR, even though it normally works fine with other 5v gates/triggers. The behaviour is the same regardless how long I make the gates, or if I play live.

I have looked up on Muffwiggler and people confirmed the dual ADSR is a bit "picky" with gates, so it's not the fault of the Nerdseq itself! Upon looking at an oscilloscope, I noticed the gates from the Nerdseq are very, very slightly "soft" at the edges, which I think is causing the issue. The modules which trigger the dual ADSR successfully have a "harder" edge to their gates.

Is this something that can be changed in software, or is it a hardware limitation? It's no big deal if not, I can look into modifying the dual ADSR to make it less picky if needs be.
(08-07-2019, 06:39 PM)shledge Wrote: I noticed that my Nerdseq doesn't trigger my doepfer A-140-2 dual ADSR, even though it normally works fine with other 5v gates/triggers. The behaviour is the same regardless how long I make the gates, or if I play live.

I have looked up on Muffwiggler and people confirmed the dual ADSR is a bit "picky" with gates, so it's not the fault of the Nerdseq itself! Upon looking at an oscilloscope, I noticed the gates from the Nerdseq are very, very slightly "soft" at the edges, which I think is causing the issue. The modules which trigger the dual ADSR successfully have a "harder" edge to their gates.

Is this something that can be changed in software, or is it a hardware limitation? It's no big deal if not, I can look into modifying the dual ADSR to make it less picky if needs be.

The trigger outputs of the NerdSEQ can't be changed. These are digital, generating 5 Volt/0Volt and the edges are not soft i think. Any ADSR or normal gate input should be able to recognise the raising edge, else the ADSR might be faulty. ( Edge detection points should be somewhere between 2 and 3 volts!!!)
Even if a edge is very slow there should be a detection for a gate.
The NerdSEQ Gate/Trigger outputs are just how they should be.

I saw that they are some settings with the dual adsr, maybe some jumpers are not set correctly? Or else it is maybe not calibrated well.
The nerseq triggers everything else fine, so it's not the module itself.

I contacted Dieter and apparently the dual ADSR can be made more responsive by changing a couple of capacitors. It's due to the CEM based design apparently. I think I'll look into that instead.