Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK button to enter pattern
Would it be possible to have an option that makes it so when you accidentally press the OK button on a pattern that is already there it just enters the pattern screen instead of overwriting the pattern with a new one?
Great idea! This drives me nuts

I am constantly doing this!

Very annoying when it's on a pattern that's currently playing.

Interestingly UNDO does reverse this; but only if Nerdseq is stopped. So if you accidentally change a pattern that's playing with the OK button, you need to stop Nerdseq before you can UNDO the action.
And how do you create a new pattern then?
I don't think i could detect an 'accidentally' pressing of the OK button.
I think maybe something like OK + Cursor right could be possible. But it would break my philosophy that OK either creates something or acknowledges and behaves the same everywhere and it would it make much more difficult for beginners to get anything out of the NerdSEQ. Something i can't do.

The reason for OK working but undo not when playing is because Undo can be destructive and forces your sequencer to either stop when playing or create weird situations when a sequencer part is playing and gets removed at the same time.
OK is not destructive in that case.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
I think OK is good to start a new pattern! But not when there's already a pattern there. I think if you want to do that you should delete the existing pattern first. (Like in Ableton - if the slot empty doubleclick makes a new pattern, but if it's not empty nothing will happen)

So I think if you press OK on top of an existing pattern, nothing should happen! To me that seems logical.

Don't quite understand about the undo issue, it just seems unintuitive that you can create a new pattern over the top of one that is already playing - that seems "destructive" to me
(09-19-2019, 09:29 AM)depaffect Wrote: I think OK is good to start a new pattern! But not when there's already a pattern there. I think if you want to do that you should delete the existing pattern first. (Like in Ableton - if the slot empty doubleclick makes a new pattern, but if it's not empty nothing will happen)

So I think if you press OK on top of an existing pattern, nothing should happen! To me that seems logical.

That sounds actually like a good thing to do and i will consider it to think about it and research possible side effects.

Quote:Don't quite understand about the undo issue, it just seems unintuitive that you can create a new pattern over the top of one that is already playing - that seems "destructive" to me

Undo can totally change all your sequences, depending on what you did before. Just imagine you hade a intense copy paste session. Then play the sequences and then you place some old sequence arrangement by using undo. I can think of everything like notes that keep playing etc. And of course the issue that it causes problems when a empty sequencer field is playing, because it has just been removed by undo or any other copy pase or delete actions.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(09-19-2019, 09:38 AM)XORadmin Wrote: That sounds actually like a good thing to do and i will consider it to think about it and research possible side effects.

Awesome!

Quote:Undo can totally change all your sequences, depending on what you did before. Just imagine you hade a intense copy paste session. Then play the sequences and then you place some old sequence arrangement by using undo. I can think of everything like notes that keep playing etc. And of course the issue that it causes problems when a empty sequencer field is playing, because it has just been removed by undo or any other copy pase or delete actions.

Ahh yeah I see what you mean. I guess I can't help but compare everything to Ableton Live (which can undo while playing), but that is obviously a more heavy program with endless resources, memory etc.
(09-19-2019, 10:08 AM)depaffect Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 09:38 AM)XORadmin Wrote: That sounds actually like a good thing to do and i will consider it to think about it and research possible side effects.

Awesome!

Quote:Undo can totally change all your sequences, depending on what you did before. Just imagine you hade a intense copy paste session. Then play the sequences and then you place some old sequence arrangement by using undo. I can think of everything like notes that keep playing etc. And of course the issue that it causes problems when a empty sequencer field is playing, because it has just been removed by undo or any other copy pase or delete actions.

Ahh yeah I see what you mean. I guess I can't help but compare everything to Ableton Live (which can undo while playing), but that is obviously a more heavy program with endless resources, memory etc.

Oh no....i never used ableton, so i don't know what you are talking about.
But comparison is here definitely out of proportion. Indeed gigaherz computers with big screens and endless memory and a full development-team vs. Megahertz microcontroller with a mini low-res screen, only kilobytes of memory and a 1 person development team who also has to arrange everything else in his mini company :-)
haha yes i do agree. and full credit to you. i do love ableton. but nerdseq is cooler Smile
(09-19-2019, 09:38 AM)XORadmin Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 09:29 AM)depaffect Wrote: I think OK is good to start a new pattern! But not when there's already a pattern there. I think if you want to do that you should delete the existing pattern first. (Like in Ableton - if the slot empty doubleclick makes a new pattern, but if it's not empty nothing will happen)

That sounds actually like a good thing to do and i will consider it to think about it and research possible side effects.

Yes this is what I was saying. I think the OK button is perfect for starting a new pattern on an empty slot. But I think the functionality should be different when a pattern is already there.

It would make most sense to me if the OK button did the same thing as the PATTERN button when the cursor is on a pattern that is already there - and just entered the pattern screen. This would mean you could enter the pattern screen with either button, instead of the OK button doing nothing, and still no accidental overwrites would happen.

I personally feel like this would be very nice.

(edit: I also just realized that if you could enter an existing pattern with the OK button from the sequencer screen then you would be able to do a cool double tap on an empty slot. The first tap would create a new pattern, and the second tap would enter the pattern screen. This would be a very quick and efficient way to add and edit a new pattern on the fly.)
I am not a fan of entering the pattern screen when pressing OK. Mostly because now you press accidentally OK and create a new pattern is happening. So it would also happen when accidentally pressing the OK button and ending up in the pattern screen then..just as annoying it seems.