Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*DONE* S&H
Hi,

A S&H triggered by the channel trigger would be so useful.

It would be insane to have it in the automator tab with clock = trig >> 6 S&H !!

Cheers !
I think you got to explain that a bit more because i don't really know what you mean.
A sample & Hold? Like with the signal from the CV input? And how is the automator involved?
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
I mean S&H with internal noise/lfo and triggered by a channel trig.
I hope this is more understable.
I think what you mean is stepped random. Like what a Turing machine does. This should definitely be added, it's classic modular sequencing. I think it makes sense as an automator with the following parameters: level, offset, lines per step, amount of steps (0: random sequence, 8: loop of 8 steps, etc.)
Once scales are a thing you would be able to use this to instantly generate melodies (a la classic Turing machine to quantiser set up)
This would be excellentSmile
(12-21-2019, 03:50 PM)Ja DMAK Wrote: I mean S&H with internal noise/lfo and triggered by a channel trig.

Still not exactly sure what you mean. But if you say sample & hold then i think that you want to have a continuous signal and sample it at a certain pattern step and keep that level, right?
I think if you have a noise automator you can have that at any point by setting the speed to zero. It should hold the current noise level then.
I’m off my system for the next days to test it but you could give it a try!
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(12-24-2019, 05:48 PM)DJ Tap Water Wrote: I think what you mean is stepped random. Like what a Turing machine does. This should definitely be added, it's classic modular sequencing. I think it makes sense as an automator with the following parameters: level, offset, lines per step, amount of steps (0: random sequence, 8: loop of 8 steps, etc.)
Once scales are a thing you would be able to use this to instantly generate melodies (a la classic Turing machine to quantiser set up)

Happily this is not a classic modular sequencer and no intention for that, neither copying any other sequencer functions.
It's indeed a good idea to add a CV input clock for an additional LFO so the steps can be set externally. It would need a fast clock then for the sound waveforms and for the noise waveforms it totally makes sense to go from one to the other sample. I'm not sure yet if it would help more once the scaling is implemented. For now i have pre-scaling in my mind so all modulations would still work and you keep like the glide stuff or for example vibrato modulations etc on top of the scaled notes.
(12-25-2019, 11:32 AM)XORadmin Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 05:48 PM)DJ Tap Water Wrote: I think what you mean is stepped random. Like what a Turing machine does. This should definitely be added, it's classic modular sequencing. I think it makes sense as an automator with the following parameters: level, offset, lines per step, amount of steps (0: random sequence, 8: loop of 8 steps, etc.)

Happily this is not a classic modular sequencer and no intention for that, neither copying any other sequencer functions.
It's indeed a good idea to add a CV input clock for an additional LFO so the steps can be set externally. It would need a fast clock then for the sound waveforms and for the noise waveforms it totally makes sense to go from one to the other sample. I'm not sure yet if it would help more once the scaling is implemented. For now i have pre-scaling in my mind so all modulations would still work and you keep like the glide stuff or for example vibrato modulations etc on top of the scaled notes.
Need for external clocks should be avoided where possible. Sync mult and divisions for automators based on lines rather than ticks or patterns would be more useful. Please consider adding looped stepped random (that you can save) as an autometer, it's very powerful. It would still be a trackerSmile
(12-25-2019, 04:14 PM)DJ Tap Water Wrote:
(12-25-2019, 11:32 AM)XORadmin Wrote:

Need for external clocks should be avoided where possible. Sync mult and divisions for automators based on lines rather than ticks or patterns would be more useful. Please consider adding looped stepped random (that you can save) as an autometer, it's very powerful. It would still be a trackerSmile

Triggered by an external clock signal was only one input possibility. They are already several others.
A clock based on dividers/multipliers of the lines/rows of the mainclock is not a bad idea. I will consider this for the future. But it doesn’t have anything to do with S&H here  Wink
(12-25-2019, 11:19 AM)XORadmin Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 03:50 PM)Ja DMAK Wrote: I mean S&H with internal noise/lfo and triggered by a channel trig.

Still not exactly sure what you mean. But if you say sample & hold then i think that you want to have a continuous signal and sample it at a certain pattern step and keep that level, right?
I think if you have a noise automator you can have that at any point by setting the speed to zero. It should hold the current noise level then.
I’m off my system for the next days to test it but you could give it a try!
Iam not sure to well understand your suggestion and it looks like the lfo is still running even when the speed is set to zero.

Anyway the goal is really simple : a new value is sampled (depending on the noise/waveform chosen) for each trig (depending on the track chosen).
You can get a stepped random thing right now with the Automators.

If you set the Wave to White Noise (second to last), set the Clock to Pattern and then the Speed to FFE, you will get per sequencer step random voltages.

In this image:

I have stepped random going to the Mod out of Track 6. Also, remember to set the LFO to playing (the Stop/Play icons in the 3rd column).

From what I can tell, there's currently no way to trigger a new random voltage, it's only clocked. But, I assume when Envelopes get implemented, there will be a way to do that!

EDIT:

Correction, it looks like you might be able to reset it from an FX lane? Let me go test this.

Quote:Rst X: Reset waveform resets the waveform to the start of the waveform or to be more precise, to the point of the phase of the waveform. Where reset X doesn’t have a source and can be reset only by pressing OK on the function or from the sequencer automator FX functions (ASLx 101). You can further set the Rst X value from 0 to 7 which means that the reset will additionally be triggered by another Slot. To reset the Reset input needs a transition from at least 0 to 200 which is ca. 0,5 volt if derived from the 10 Volt range. Internally I means that the output of another Slot must have been 0 or lower and go to 200 and higher in it’s output values. By using a CV input as another slot automator, one can reset the LFO from an external source.

SECOND EDIT:

Ok, looks like not. The white noise seems to always have the same seed, so resetting it always resets it to the start of the known values. You can kinda get this to work right now by changing the Phase ans restarting it. But, using the randomize FX changes all three values of the Automator effects, so you can't set one for varying the phase and randomize it, it randomizes everything all three numbers (X00 sets what changes and 0XX sets the value). Not sure if this is a bug or intended? I'll post in the bug report forum about it.

THIRD EDIT:

Ok, here's a real hacky way of getting triggered stepped random from an Automator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btg_AWJmcfM

Set the Automator Shape to White Noise, set the Clock to Pattern. Then, in an FX in a pattern, set the speed to FE on the step you want triggered, and then, on the next step, set it to 00 or 01. For Automator 0, that's ASL0 2FE then ASL0 201.

It's not perfect, but works well enough that I'm probably gonna be using this a lot!