Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got it, a few requests
Undo as a keyboard shortcut. 

Pitch scales per track.

Random value as a keyboard shortcut - randomisation is so useful but why is it tucked away in the nerd menu? Randomise marked area would be a fast way to create melodies once scales are a thing. 

Edit sequence whilst playing. 

Disable auto-add gates (you need to add a special command per step to do this currently despite the project settings)

Rotate selection vertically (wrap around). This is so useful, any new sequencer should have this (for non trackers it is horizontal of course). 

Stepped random (aka Turing machine) as an automator (with looping and saving sequences). This would be a big deal. 

Square LFOs. My favourite waveform, and very useful for transposing melodies (once scales are added) 

Reset LFO as a line command

LFO sync to lines

Perhaps once you are on the top screen, pressing page up again should move the cursor to line 0 - I have found myself naturally trying to do this. Just a thought. 

Are people using tables? I'd rather have better automators. LFOs/looped random to quantiser is king of arpeggios. Modulate your LFO with another LFO and you have a really complex sequence very quickly. Requires sync to line and stepped random would be super useful too. 

Would be interested to hear feedback...

CheersSmile 
Billy
(12-24-2019, 07:10 PM)DJ Tap Water Wrote: ...Are people using tables? I'd rather have better automators. LFOs/looped random to quantiser is king of arpeggios. Modulate your LFO with another LFO and you have a really complex sequence very quickly. Requires sync to line and stepped random would be super useful too. 

LFOs to quantiser is not the king of arpeggios. The problem is that the LFO changes amplitude smoothly, but the spaces between notes in a scale or chord do not - sometimes there is a semitone, sometimes a full tone, sometimes a third etc. So you get an 'arp' with odd timing, or repetitions of some notes. Using tables avoids this issue.
I wondered if I would find a use for tables, but as soon as I got around to playing with them for a while, I realised that they will be very useful. (I would still happily swap them for better groove control - that's a fundamental issue for me, so far it's the only one)

I think it's going to take a while to really get to know some of the more esoteric features of Nerdseq before really understanding how best to use them.
Personally, I'm not too worried about random value generation or LFO style automators, I'd rather do that stuff in the analog realm. The probability FX on the other hand are very useful.

Totally with you on the page up suggestion - that's caught me out a few times. Similar is that in menus (haven't checked in the edit panes) up and down you can hold for key repeat, but page up or down you need to keep hitting the button - annoying for the sample loading screen.

Easier access to undo would also be very nice.

Also agree about the auto gates - I always put an explicit gate in the trigger column, and would rather not have things happen in the background that I haven't explicitly set.
Manual page 52, there is a preference to add triggers automatically or not with notes.

There's a thread about pitch scales, it's in the works.
(12-25-2019, 03:46 AM)Gimber Wrote: Manual page 52, there is a preference to add triggers automatically or not with notes.

There's a thread about pitch scales, it's in the works.

It doesn't work though. You can't disable auto add gates atm, despite what the manual says.

(12-24-2019, 10:56 PM)colb Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 07:10 PM)DJ Tap Water Wrote: ...Are people using tables? I'd rather have better automators. LFOs/looped random to quantiser is king of arpeggios. Modulate your LFO with another LFO and you have a really complex sequence very quickly. Requires sync to line and stepped random would be super useful too. 

LFOs to quantiser is not the king of arpeggios. The problem is that the LFO changes amplitude smoothly, but the spaces between notes in a scale or chord do not - sometimes there is a semitone, sometimes a full tone, sometimes a third etc. So you get an 'arp' with odd timing, or repetitions of some notes. Using tables avoids this issue.
I wondered if I would find a use for tables, but as soon as I got around to playing with them for a while, I realised that they will be very useful. (I would still happily swap them for better groove control - that's a fundamental issue for me, so far it's the only one)

I think it's going to take a while to really get to know some of the more esoteric features of Nerdseq before really understanding how best to use them.
Personally, I'm not too worried about random value generation or LFO style automators, I'd rather do that stuff in the analog realm. The probability FX on the other hand are very useful.

Totally with you on the page up suggestion - that's caught me out a few times. Similar is that in menus (haven't checked in the edit panes) up and down you can hold for key repeat, but page up or down you need to keep hitting the button - annoying for the sample loading screen.

Easier access to undo would also be very nice.

Also agree about the auto gates - I always put an explicit gate in the trigger column, and would rather not have things happen in the background that I haven't explicitly set.
Yeah the invisible added gates is annoying. 

Finer groove control, I forgot to mention - yeah that's really important, core functionality. 

LFOs and stepped random *really* are the king of arpeggios. Looped stepped random makes amazing arpeggios on its own, then if you control the offset with a square wave, and the amplitude with another square wave, you have a very complex arpeggio. This arpeggio is defined by three different modulators, and if you make each modulator have a different amount of quarter notes per cycle, you have a morphing, polymetric arpeggio with many steps which would take a long, long time to program by hand and sounds very musical. To do this with tables you would need tables within tables. And it would be slower to make and edit. 

Again, you would need sync to line to make the above work.
OK, i found some time now to get into this while my vacation.

Quote:Undo as a keyboard shortcut.

One philosophy (that i frequently mention and will keep) is that i try to avoid weird key combinations as much as possible. I will keep that idea. Also i see Undo more as a rather average important feature (i rarely use it when composing). Any more key combo's (if) will be used only for killer functions.

Quote:Pitch scales per track.

See all the other discussion threads about that.

Quote:Random value as a keyboard shortcut - randomisation is so useful but why is it tucked away in the nerd menu? Randomise marked area would be a fast way to create melodies once scales are a thing.

Again, no weird shortcuts. Random as well discussed before and my ideas in combination with scaling are known and generally accepted. I just got to find some time to realise it.

Quote:Edit sequence whilst playing.

Discussed several times, the pattern arrangement editing in the sequencer screen is limited for several reasons currently.

Quote:Disable auto-add gates (you need to add a special command per step to do this currently despite the project settings)

Yep you send me already your dislike about that. This has been like this from the beginning and i didn't feel an urge at all to change that measured by the customer requests. It would have been there already if it would be an issue for the peoples so far. It's now noted and added on my 2do list to be implemented at some point. And then as a setting, because auto-gate makes definitely sense for melody compositions.

Quote:Rotate selection vertically (wrap around). This is so useful, any new sequencer should have this (for non trackers it is horizontal of course).

Requested before in another thread and considered to be added once patternlength is introduced.

Quote:Stepped random (aka Turing machine) as an automator (with looping and saving sequences). This would be a big deal.

I don't know what the turing machine does. But adding a mainclock step as additional automator LFO source (which i understand from it seing the other threads about it) seem to do the job. Saving automator generations is something i already thought about, but this would only be on step level and thus a much less resolution than the automators produce.
Mainclock steps as LFO clock source is added on the 2do list (most probably only makes sense with the noise/random waveforms).

Quote:Square LFOs. My favourite waveform, and very useful for transposing melodies (once scales are added)

A regular square waveform will be added. And as i already mentioned in another thread, the scaling will most probably not affect the automator output.
For now you can set the quantisation of the waveform to 1 bit and get a nice square.

Quote:Reset LFO as a line command

Is already in there.

Quote:Perhaps once you are on the top screen, pressing page up again should move the cursor to line 0 - I have found myself naturally trying to do this. Just a thought.

Good point, i will check and add that.

Quote:Are people using tables? I'd rather have better automators. LFOs/looped random to quantiser is king of arpeggios. Modulate your LFO with another LFO and you have a really complex sequence very quickly. Requires sync to line and stepped random would be super useful too.

Tables is a different thing than automators and the tables are intensively used to generate different main track manipulations by many users. Despite that the tables will get a make over soon.
Modulating an LFO with another LFO and so on is already possible with the automators...a different thing than tables.

Quote:
Quote:Manual page 52, there is a preference to add triggers automatically or not with notes.

It doesn't work though. You can't disable auto add gates atm, despite what the manual says.

It doesn't say that at all in the manual. The manual says only that a trigger is being added automatically in the trigger column or not depending on the settings.

--

I really suggest to get used to the NerdSEQ in the first place and understand why things are like they are before requesting features that you probably know from any other sequencers or you personally think are essential. Often things can be done already using different techniques.
And usually i don't really care what other sequencers can do or not. Each one has their own cool features and usability that makes them unique. And so does the NerdSEQ have it's unique features and usage with it's own philosophy behind it. I normally don't want to add funtions to replace any external modules (LFO's, Modulators, Tools etc..). All features should be an addition to the main core -> Being a sequencer to compose music, loops etc. And the power of modular is that many different things are added to make a cool system.
And i also prefer feature requests (and i repeat that from time to time) that are already well thought about how it could fit well into the workflow. Not because i am lazy, but more that i don't have to work out all of that. This is what takes the most time and that time decides the speed and amount of features that will be added. The 2DO list is only growing and not shrinking, so everything helps to get most of it into the NerdSEQ.

That all doesn't mean that i really appreciate more feature requests. I do!
The 2do list is still very long but the priorities are changing frequently, so they are always chances that good ideas will find it's way into the project sooner.
Cheers! Smile
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Hey Thomas, thanks for taking the time to reply in depth. Glad gates and notes are getting decoupled at some point! And yes I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with the capabilities of the machineSmile One last thing I must respond to is though: generally I'm not a fan of button combos on eurorack modules either, but as a veteran of renoise, I know how much keyboard shortcuts can speed up workflow on a tracker. Nerdseq is the only eurorack module with a keyboard so it would be a shame not to squeeze every ounce of functionality out of it. Keyboard shortcuts + tracker interface is a tried and tested recipe for fast workflow^^
(12-27-2019, 03:54 PM)DJ Tap Water Wrote: Hey Thomas, thanks for taking the time to reply in depth. Glad gates and notes are getting decoupled at some point! And yes I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with the capabilities of the machineSmile One last thing I must respond to is though: generally I'm not a fan of button combos on eurorack modules either, but as a veteran of renoise, I know how much keyboard shortcuts can speed up workflow on a tracker. Nerdseq is the only eurorack module with a keyboard so it would be a shame not to squeeze every ounce of functionality out of it. Keyboard shortcuts + tracker interface is a tried and tested recipe for fast workflow^^

I am a tracker veteran since forever and i totally understand you. But the limit of buttons and the complexity of for example LSDJ with all it's combos put me into that decision and i think it makes definitely sense.

But there is light at the horizon...as you probably know there might be video output at some point and my latest prototype for the video expander has also a USB connection for a USB Computer Keyboard.. *hint*

Wink
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Oh boy! I didn't even know about the video expander. That all sounds great!