Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
limit steps per pattern page to better facilitate odd time signatures
please delete if this is already documented in some better form, or if not possible.

recently I was working on a little ditty with some patterns in 5/4, and I would have loved to only have room for 10 steps in each "page" view, so when I hit page down once I'm now looking at steps 10-20, again, 20-30, etc.

or to work in a 6/8 time signature and only display 12 steps per page, etc.

maybe it's a weird ask to have *less* real estate for steps, but it would help me work effectively with less common time signatures!

absolutely love this product.
Just asking, you know about the BRK command which can give you as many steps per pattern as you want? Set a BRK 000 in the FX column on the step you want and the pattern will be finished there.

And beside that, there will be a patternlength setting for each pattern at some point.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(03-10-2020, 08:35 AM)XORadmin Wrote: Just asking, you know about the BRK command which can give you as many steps per pattern as you want? Set a BRK 000 in the FX column on the step you want and the pattern will be finished there.

And beside that, there will be a patternlength setting for each pattern at some point.

Yes, currently I use BRK for this.

I understand we can't fit more than 16 steps at a time on the step-viewer portion of the screen, because space is limited. I'd like the option to limit the space even further. So I could limit to only showing 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, etc steps at a time, for example. This perhaps could be referred to as "pagelength" or "barlength" or "measurelength".

This would enable me to make better use of the page up and page down buttons when working with 6/8 or 5/4 time signatures, for example.

I think this could work well with the upcoming "patternlength" option. For instance:

patternlength 64
pagelength 16

is the current default behavior. works very well for programming "bars" of 8 or 16 because they cleanly fit within the 16 steps that can effectively be paged up or down.

patternlength 20
pagelength 5

would be helpful in programming 4 "bars" of 5/4 before reaching the end of the pattern, and I'd be able to effectively page up and down between each bar.

patternlength 21
pagelength 7

would similarly be helpful in programming 3 "bars" of 7/8.

Thank you for your attention and consideration, sorry for my slow reply, I've been away from my computer.