Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV / Gate Recording with Stillson Hammer
I have been recording few sequences from my Stillson Hammer to the Nerdseq recently and I have been struggling getting the exact same results when recording notes into Nerdseq.

I cue the sequence I like on my Stillson hammer and pass the cv/gate/mod to the Nerdseq inputs. Then I set up the recording channel which will be related to a voice in my rack. I have set up the recorder to CV/Note Gate with 0 trig delay. After recording, the sequence is sometimes right sometimes the pitch isn't right at all. I tried to change the CV/Note Gate to Trig since I'm mainly using Noise Engineering oscillators and they all have their own trig input, but when I record, the Nerdseq will put a trig at each step of the grid.

Is anyone experienced any difficulties to record cv/gate with this particular module (SHmk2) or any other type of sequencers.

I know the recording process can be a little bit tricky and I'm not 100% sure if I'm doing it the best way since it seems there are few different option on the Nerdseq to record.

I'm mainly looking for recording advice from the community, and in the meantime I'm still happy with my actual recording process because it also give me lots of happy accidents, however it is sometimes frustrating to have a great sequence that I like and won't being able to fully record in to the nerdseq  Blush
Hey Zerius,

i assume you manually-calibrated the inputs well already?

As for the recording, i don't know how the trigger/gate relation with the stilson hammer is. So maybe a little delay is needed when recording.
Your result might be slightly different than what the SH does also because of the fact that the Nerdseq only records into the steps. So variations in between might be interpreted wrong.

Also at last, with the latest firmware i found out an issue (see the minor bugs, i added it there) which might also affect your recordings. Though, i don't know yet if it only affects the bypass/passthrough or also recording.

Please don't forget that the Nerdseq is not a CV recorder. But mainly, if synchronised well, it should be possible to record the inputs well within the steps if the settings are matching the needs.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Hey !

I think I did well indeed.

I am not familiar with the trigger / gate delay function yet could you give me more explanation how works this feature ?
I understand the fact that it is not a cv recorder and I think it is the reason why it doesn't record all the cv's incoming however I presume it should at least well record the external gates ? However it always records the same value for all gates I record, maybe I should try to send lower gate values from the SH ?
Hi zerius, I have seen this. I found that if the Nerdseq sends clock in to the other sequencer that this works well. If the second sequencer sends clock into the Nerdseq, then the CV reading is a bit less likely to read accurately. This does depend on the sequencer. I don't have a Stilson Hammer.

Step CV recording is more complex than you'd think. With most eurorack sequencers, if you watch them change note on an oscilloscope, there is a slew that takes place in the CV pitch change. When they send the gate, the CV value has not usually reached its final voltage value. If the CV recorder checks the CV at this exact time, it will get the wrong note because the other sequencer isn't actually making the right note at that exact point in time. Nerdseq is actually aware of this and does a good job of compensating for it.

I haven't used the trigger/gate delay.
Hi Marizu,

I have ended up doing as you do, setting nerdseq as the master track and send cv/reset to the SH and while recording it does a better job.
I believe SH is sequencing in its on way and nerdseq is trying to capture the same feeling but it doesn't do it perfectly and doesn't matter, I really enjoy both sequencers in their own ways and design and I really enjoy both of them !

By the way I have one spare input to record something else, I'm asking myself what I could record Smile
That's interesting I did report a similar issue, I'm having with the Rene in that case, no matter what I'm getting really inconsistent recording of the inputs, not sure what is the cause.
(06-10-2020, 08:29 PM)zerius Wrote: Hey !

I think I did well indeed.

I am not familiar with the trigger / gate delay function yet could you give me more explanation how works this feature ?
I understand the fact that it is not a cv recorder and I think it is the reason why it doesn't record all the cv's incoming however I presume it should at least well record the external gates ? However it always records the same value for all gates I record, maybe I should try to send lower gate values from the SH ?

I think the concept of triggers vs gates must be more clear here.

A trigger is only a short pulse of about a few milliseconds. A gate mostly last for a longer period, like several steps.
If you set to record triggers it will fill in a fixed trigger pulse if it detects a trigger (if i remember well then the shortest trigger mayb be 1 or 2 milliseconds).
If it is set to gate, then it will fill in a gate on in the trigger column if it detects a gate on the step and a gate off on another step when it is released again. If the gate turns out to be a trigger instead of a gate, like, if it goes on on the step but off again within the same step, then a fixed trigger is filled in the trigger column. Thats it for trigger/gate recording.
Next to that they are multiple possibilities to combine the gate/trigger with CV note recordings.
A gate/trigger on the CV input is detected somewhere around 1 volt so it will work with all 0 - 5 Volt signals, but these can be also 8 volt or so, but never negative. And the recording result is always either a On or a off, never a particular voltage.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile