Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone explain lfos
So I get what an lfo is but they confuse they hell out of me in this. I’ve read the section in the manual but I just don’t really get em.

Tried using an lfo to send a voltage out of a mod out and had to really experiment to get a +5/-5 swing from the mod out, the lfo needed offsets and getting specific speeds seemed really tricky. 

Has anyone totally sussed them and be willing to explain them, how to get most out of different speeds and clock settings, how the noise settings work, etc, how to make a square wave?
I believe if you don't enter any notes it will act as an LFO depending how you set up the tool itself. However I'm still wondering how the lfo acts exactly when you enter note, so I'm looking for advice here as well.
Not sure what to explain directly.

But for example to get a +- 5Volt LFO on a MOD output:
As we are talking about a bi-polar signal, you should set the Offset switch for the MOD outputs to the left side.
Use a MOD output as a destination to the LFO in the modulation matrix
Change the Amplitude to F9 which is the highest value = highest range. ( 0 is no amplitude and F9 is max amplitude which would bring a 10 volt range if you set it directly to the output), everything higher is a input so the amplitude can be modulated but other Automator slots).
And now you either change the offset to the highest point (remember LFO/modulators are Bi-Polar) or you set the MOD output itself to C-5 / 800.
Just to explain that offset thing. Normally you would play a note or got a value on the MOD output. The LFO signal is added to it. So if the LFO signal is positive right now then it is added, if it is negative right now, it is subtracted. If your output is 0, nothing can be subtracted.
The reason why your signal is added is so that if you play for example a melody then you can create a nice vibrato effect on the notes by that. The LFO will swing around the note (if the offset is 0).
The Offset switch is a hardware switch which subtracts 5 Volt from the output signal to be able to create bipolar signals. The NerdSEQ itself is not aware of the switch position.

For noise, since noise is not a waveform with a full iteration, it works different of course. So here it creates random signal changes. If the speed is higher, the changes are faster.

As for the squarewave, i wanted to add a normal squarewave waveform at some point, but that makes only sense if there is also a pulsewidth parameter, and the LFO's have fixed parameters. I will not add an additional PW parameter just for one waveform, however, i will most probably fix that with the Phase parameter.
To make a square wave now, you could simply use any of the waveforms and lower the resolution to 1 bit.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Ahhh the offset makes sense now! Thanks

On getting the lfo to clock divisions and multiples, what would the maths be for the different clock settings, to identify the correct speed setting?
You can currently sync the clock to the mainclock pattern length or divisions of that, or have multiples or divisions of step counts to let the LFO iterate.
But there is no 'a full LFO wave should be exact one step long or something like that' currently. You can reset a LFO from the sequencer though.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Ahh ok, feel less stupid now.

Are there plans to have such sync’d (pattern, master clock or step count) lfos?
(06-24-2020, 12:29 PM)ipassenger Wrote: Ahh ok, feel less stupid now.

Are there plans to have such sync’d (pattern, master clock or step count) lfos?

Pattern synced (eg master clock synced) is there already, so you can do LFO iterations of 1 mainclock length or dividers of it or synced LFO's which are longer than patterns etc. Also iterations derived from steps and multiple other clocking inputs are already possible.
All others are on my list but low priority.
I have the formula for syncing LFOs to any length which Thomas gave me in another thread - I'll try and find it for you.
(06-26-2020, 09:08 AM)theotteryears Wrote: I have the formula for syncing LFOs to any length which Thomas gave me in another thread - I'll try and find it for you.

Awesome, thanks
Here you go Smile

https://xor-electronics.com/forum/showth...hp?tid=664