Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clock a track via CV input while other tracks are normally clocked?
Forgive me if I missed this in the manual or in the forum when I looked for it recently:

While one or more other tracks are following internal or external clock as per normal, is it possible to step a specified track instead via triggers/gates received on an assigned CV input? And, if that is possible, how does that behaviour interact with the use of tables?
It is not possible to currently clock seperate tracks through the CV inputs.
However, you can clock tables from the CV input with the coming version.
Clocking single tracks would be connected with multiple side effects and i am not sure if it is worth the effort in the end.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
"clock tables from the CV input with the coming version"

Amazing Smile
(06-26-2020, 08:13 AM)XORadmin Wrote: It is not possible to currently clock seperate tracks through the CV inputs.

That’s unfortunate but not the end of the world, as I can always pursue that kind of melody vs rhythm exploration via other modules and then either use the NerdSEQ to control those modules and/or transcribe/record the results into the NerdSEQ. NerdSEQ is still leading my sequencer list. Wink

(06-26-2020, 08:13 AM)XORadmin Wrote: Clocking single tracks would be connected with multiple side effects and i am not sure if it is worth the effort in the end.

With my developer hat on, even though without knowledge of NerdSEQ internals, I imagined that might very well be the case.

(06-26-2020, 08:13 AM)XORadmin Wrote: However, you can clock tables from the CV input with the coming version. 

Put simply, that will be awesome, and quite possibly something that could be bent into doing a bit of what I was looking for.

Are you able to get into detail regarding how the CV input is associated, in terms of with a table itself (wherever it is used) vs a pattern (wherever it is used) and/or a track? You’re making me very curious indeed. Wink
(06-26-2020, 02:42 PM)mvdirty Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 08:13 AM)XORadmin Wrote: It is not possible to currently clock seperate tracks through the CV inputs.

That’s unfortunate but not the end of the world, as I can always pursue that kind of melody vs rhythm exploration via other modules and then either use the NerdSEQ to control those modules and/or transcribe/record the results into the NerdSEQ. NerdSEQ is still leading my sequencer list. Wink

(06-26-2020, 08:13 AM)XORadmin Wrote: Clocking single tracks would be connected with multiple side effects and i am not sure if it is worth the effort in the end.

With my developer hat on, even though without knowledge of NerdSEQ internals, I imagined that might very well be the case.

(06-26-2020, 08:13 AM)XORadmin Wrote: However, you can clock tables from the CV input with the coming version. 

Put simply, that will be awesome, and quite possibly something that could be bent into doing a bit of what I was looking for.

Are you able to get into detail regarding how the CV input is associated, in terms of with a table itself (wherever it is used) vs a pattern (wherever it is used) and/or a track? You’re making me very curious indeed. Wink

The side effects are not with a developer head (the effort is Wink)), but mainly, since stuff also relates to the mainclock it would be tricky for the user to get it ever properly in sync. Patterns started so it starts with others etc. It would need a 24ppqn clock to at least be able to runs with the others properly.
If you refer to polyrhythmic stuff, or different clock speeds per track, this is simply possible.

You still got to start a table from a pattern, but the table 'steps' can be done through a 0->5 volt pulse.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
I suppose that to address the periodic resynchronization need, one would also want a reset in, tying up yet another limited and valuable input, or perhaps an FX function executed on another track, or similar. Yet more complexity.

Hmm. That gets me thinking of something... Is there an FX function that causes a break on a different specified track? Maybe even a break-like function but at the level of islands?
Not a break, but you can start/stop patterns from yours or other tracks.

Keep in mind that resync with the nerdseq is not like all these clock reset things that just move to the first step. Clocking inside the nerdseq is much more complex than each 8 step shift register within eurorack.
is there an option to start rows from other tracks?

The idea was to have a sampler track set to eg /32 or /64 and then use the patterns on this track to control the 'arrangement' of the song by triggering rows on all the other tracks.
Yes
(06-26-2020, 03:32 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Not a break, but you can start/stop patterns from yours or other tracks.

That will more than suffice. I probably saw it in the manual or hours of videos I watched, but with that much information to absorb I surely just ran out of memory.

Thanks for your replies. I’m really looking forward to diving into this sequencer in the coming months.