Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth MIDI adapter compatability?
Has anyone tried using the Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless MIDI adapter with the NerdSEQ? I was thinking I might try one to keep setup clean and simple for occasional note entry from iOS (Navichord is awesome, for example,) but figured I’d best check here first.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know. These things are harvesting their energy from the Midi port which is out of the specs. I expect it to work basically though, but i also can't say anything about the quality or latency.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Understood and agreed.

Apparently there’s at least one other similar adapter coming to market which allows external power and also claims to be even lower in latency (as much as I’m not too worried about that, as I aim to treat it more as a note selector than to use it for real-time recording of any real complexity.) I’ll have a think about whether or not to wait for that product to release. Either way, I’ll post back here if/when I test one out.

Thanks for the reply!
Upon doing a little more looking after posting, it turns out that the new adapter coming to market (the CME WIDI Master) should be shipping very soon, at both a better spec and lower cost than the Yamaha adapter, and with what I suspect will be easier attachment given the MIDI port layout on the expander. I’ve thrown caution to the wind and pre-ordered a couple units.

For what it’s worth re: “out of the specs”: +5V on MIDI OUT and THRU have been part of the spec since the early 80s, with the 2014 update to the spec adding a 3.3V variation on that. It’ll be interesting to see how much this adapter actually tries to draw and which piece of hardware, if any of them, is actually in or out of spec.