Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording Groove
Hello, 

I couldn't find anything in the posts regarding this topic. Hope i didn't miss it.

Is is (or will it be possible with 1.28) to record uneven groove coming from rather midi or live-recording CV input ?
I am trying to record Piano patterns into the NerdSeq, which eg have the groove (4,4,4,6,6,6,6,12) x4 - 64 steps. 
The NerdSeq would usually "quantize" the incoming gates in a even (6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6) pattern. 

Is there a setting for that, so the NerdSeq doesn't quantize the incoming triggers? But adjustes them in the Groove ? 
Or will it be possible ? Midi or Live Recording ? 

The only way I see right now is to make the recoding track eg 4x faster. Then i have only 16 steps, but it gives me 4 more 
triggers per step and so the desired sub steps. I know you can also chain patterns for recoding. Generally it would just be 
easier for editing the pattern later, if i stay in the normal clock with other tracks. 

Is there a setting for that ?

Thank you
(11-17-2023, 11:44 PM)kaminiello Wrote: Hello, 

I couldn't find anything in the posts regarding this topic. Hope i didn't miss it.

Is is (or will it be possible with 1.28) to record uneven groove coming from rather midi or live-recording CV input ?
I am trying to record Piano patterns into the NerdSeq, which eg have the groove (4,4,4,6,6,6,6,12) x4 - 64 steps. 
The NerdSeq would usually "quantize" the incoming gates in a even (6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6) pattern. 

Is there a setting for that, so the NerdSeq doesn't quantize the incoming triggers? But adjustes them in the Groove ? 

The only way I see right now is to make the recoding track eg 4x faster. Then i have only 16 steps, but it gives me 4 more 
triggers per step and so the desired sub steps. I know you can also chain patterns for recoding. Generally it would just be 
easier for editing the pattern later, if i stay in the normal clock with other tracks. 

Thank you

There is no setting for that and I also think it would be very hard if not impossible to implement. You never know when the next note comes in and you could not 'bend' a step too much as well. And the same way, once you bend you could never know if the note belonged to the former or already to the upcoming step.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
(11-24-2023, 11:29 AM)XORadmin Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 11:44 PM)kaminiello Wrote: Hello, 

Thank you

There is no setting for that and I also think it would be very hard if not impossible to implement. You never know when the next note comes in and you could not 'bend' a step too much as well. And the same way, once you bend you could never know if the note belonged to the former or already to the upcoming step.

But how does this work eg in a Keystep Pro, or Beatstep Pro ? It seems also to have a grid of 6 ticks per quarter note, so you can easily change between 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and Triplet (eg for arppios). When you record live in to a pattern with Keys, its adapts and creates a "time shift" for your gate events. If you are off, it records off. You have the option to switch on "quantize" to be more precise in the grid of (6,6,6,6,6) . 

For me it seems that all the basis for this actually is there in the NerdSeq already.
(11-24-2023, 06:04 PM)kaminiell Wrote: But how does this work eg in a Keystep Pro, or Beatstep Pro ? It seems also to have a grid of 6 ticks per quarter note, so you can easily change between 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and Triplet (eg for arppios). When you record live in to a pattern with Keys, its adapts and creates a "time shift" for your gate events. If you are off, it records off. You have the option to switch on "quantize" to be more precise in the grid of (6,6,6,6,6) . 

For me it seems that all the basis for this actually is there in the NerdSeq already.

Keystep, Beatstep etc doesn't change the groove. It stays like it is when recording. The only difference is that they got more recordpoints per step or if not that then a offset information per step. Grooves work different to that.

The NerdSEQ can't use more recordpoints or an additional offset information. Generally it is very hard to implement offset positions that can go both ways at this stage of development. The playback routines of the NerdSEQ are way more complex than the ones of the beatstep etc. and that should have been a design decision from the begin and that probably at cost of other things.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
I'm reading this thread and it seems to be saying the following:

1. the ticks per step and the track multiplier set the quantization of the recording.
2. if you want finer quantization, reduce the ticks per step and / or increase the track clock multiplier.
3. If you need more recording time, chain patterns on the sequencer page to record into.

Is this all correct? Will the recording continue into the next pattern in the sequencer "island"?
(11-25-2023, 07:16 AM)knights who say neve Wrote: I'm reading this thread and it seems to be saying the following:

1. the ticks per step and the track multiplier set the quantization of the recording.
2. if you want finer quantization, reduce the ticks per step and / or increase the track clock multiplier.
3. If you need more recording time, chain patterns on the sequencer page to record into.

Is this all correct? Will the recording continue into the next pattern in the sequencer "island"?

1 The quantisation doesn’t change for recording. Mainly the quantization is based on a 6 tick step and does quantize all +-3 ticks.
2 Not for recording. Reducing the ticks will bring you most probably funny side effects. It will still stay on the step grid
3 sure, you can record much longer than just 1 pattern, or do a looper etc. You can record polyphonic or from different midi channels into different tracks
Appreciate the clarification.

You could I suppose still get greater resolution by upping the tempo. That 6 tick step would sample twice as often at 2x the tempo. Then change ticks per step from 6 to 3 after recording. Would that work?
(11-28-2023, 07:03 AM)knights who say neve Wrote: Appreciate the clarification.

You could I suppose still get greater resolution by upping the tempo. That 6 tick step would sample twice as often at 2x the tempo. Then change ticks per step from 6 to 3 after recording. Would that work?

I think that could work. You can test that yourself of course. Or play that recored one with clock *2 later on which is much easier than changing all the groove. In the end when playing with groove you should know that you add complexity to your pattern. So touch he groove only if you know what you do.
I will do that I'm just not near it right now :-)